I have a Question.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chuck_H, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Chuck_H

Chuck_H Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    I have 3 week old chicks....At what age should I be able to take them out of their box w/Heat lamp and let them loose in their coup?
    I'm kinda new to this...

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It really depends on the weather where you are. What are the average daily temps? Also when they get feathered out enough to keep them warm
    My chicks are 4 weeks old and the temps outside have been in the 60's, they are out and doing very well. I have been keeping a heat light on them at night only out there because it is still getting in the low 40's at night.
    Where are you from?
    And
    [​IMG]
    Hope we see you around here, its lots of fun!

3. Chuck_H

Chuck_H Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    North Carolina.....Weather same here.....$40's low and 60's-70's high.....So, I might be able to put them under heat lamp at night?...Loose during Day?

4. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I let mine out at 2 wks of age. It still gets down to upper 20's some nights. However, the peeps just stay under the heat light when they get cold and run the pen the rest of the time. Day temps are 40-60. You may need th heat light possible until 8-10 wks old.

5. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I'm with thedeacon, I live in NW Montana I moved my girls outside with a heat lamp at night only when they were 7 weeks old. It did get into the 20's a few times and they were fine. They are now without any heat at 10 weeks old and are doing great. Good luck to you and your chicks.

6. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Wow, another person from Kalispell. I am in Kailspell too Jen. Hello from in town! *waves*

I moved my 3-5 week old chicks outside a few days ago. They are in the coop with a heat lamp, in a partitioned off area so that the hens can see them but can't get to them. I keep the heat lamp on all day still though, and only open the door and let them out when the temps are warmer and I can be outside to keep an eye on them. Oh and I don't let them into the run with the big girls, I let them out into my backyard.

Darlene

7. JenMT

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Hi montana girl, it is so exciting to find another Kalispell person....weird! I am so excited to tell my husband that I am not the only chicken person in town, he has really began to wonder about my new obsession. If you already have hens then you are more experienced than me. So how are they laying for you? What do you have? How many? Are you in town or outside?

I'm east of town near Creston. I have 4 Barred Rocks, 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Buff Orpingtons that are 10 weeks old. I got them from Murray McMurray in Feb. I absolutely fell in love with the BO's so I got 7 more strait run at Murdocks last week when I went in for feed....oops! I am planning on keeping the nicest rooster and giving the rest of the babies to a friend nearby. Good luck to you and nice to meet a fellow Kalispellian. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    It is exciting to find another Kalispell girl!! I have already told my husband lol, he too thinks I am slightly mad.

I started my little backyard farm in 2007. I currently have a Buff Orpington, a Red Sexlink, a Golden Laced Cochin Bantam, and a Ameracauna. They are all laying great and in perfect health!

I too got my chicks from Murdoch's. My husband (yes the man who thinks I am crazy) chose a White Crested Polish lol, and I have an Aerucana, another Orpington, two barred rocks, a speckled hamburg , and 3 bantams.
    My husband actually went and chose the first set of chicks for me because I was sick and recovering from surgery. He didn't realize he chose all straight run bantams lol. I sold 5 of them on Friday because 3 were roosters.

I live right in town on 2nd ave and 7th st east and can't have Roosters sadly. I would love to be able to. All of my neighbors love my chickens and want eggs!

9. JenMT

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] How wonderful your life seems, what a blessing! I just saw your website and blog and laughed a lot at our family similarities. You guys are so funny. I am unable to email right now for some reason but I can post here, my computer is getting sick. My husband, Dan is acting Fire Chief for the City of Kalispell Fire Dept and one of his offices is right near you on 1st. We have only lived here for 4 years, but we love it. We have a 5 acre mini/hobby farm and a 4 year old half acre orchard and garden I created with hardy apples, pears, apricots, peaches, plums, blueberry, raspberry and strawberries....AND now an 8X8 chicken coop and chickens! hee hee [​IMG] [​IMG] I also have 6 raised beds we made last year. I expect to really get some produce this year from everything, even though I hear it should be a cold and wet summer....yuck! I need some warmth and sunlight. We attend Easthaven and have 3 adopted children. I'd like to meet you sometime in person, but I don't think I'd better post anymore personal info here.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by