1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmwal326, May 12, 2009.

1. jmwal326

jmwal326 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    I know this topic has been talked about we just remove a chicken that was vroody from the nest it has been aleast 1 hour and she has not gone back. Does this mean that she is done beening broody. All of my other 4 girls were upset since they all lay in the same nest box of the one that was broody. I put her in a old rabbit cage for the first hour and she was upset, any feedback will be greatly helpful. thank you

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi and [​IMG]! Did you just move her this afternoon? It really is best to wait until dark and then set her on her eggs in the nest in the pen. They will absolutely pitch a fit if you try to move them during the day. At this point, I would probably try putting the eggs back in the nest she started in and put her in there with them. Then move her and the eggs to the pen when it's dark.

3. jmwal326

Apr 28, 2009
    She had no eggs under her and she was sitting for 5 days with nothng under her so I moved her today so that she will not be broody or is tis wrong of me and just let her be.

4. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I think you were absolutely correct to move her - but it really would have been better to do it at night. They are much calmer then and will typically just go ahead and set on them if you do it at night.

5. jmwal326

Apr 28, 2009
    another question to go along with this, can I put her with my 5 2 month olds and will she be happy or does she just want to hatch eggs? I am so new at this and I don't want to upset them, they are all so mild tempered but this one now. I have the 2 months old out in a pen and there own coop with plenty of room so please let me know.

6. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    She just wants to hatch eggs. I would put her in a pen by herself so there are no distractions.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The only way she is going to be broken is to be seperated in an area where there is no nesting materials. It should take a couple days...... NO NESTING MATERIALS! [​IMG]

8. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    debiraymond - you are right! For some reason I missed that she is setting on NO eggs and the goal is to break her from being broody. I re-read after your post and see that now. My apologies.

9. jmwal326

Apr 28, 2009
    Thank you I did put her in a big pen byherself and no nesting material whatso ever and she is doing fine. Thank you all for your replys.

5 Buff Oprington 2 Rhode Island reds 3 Barred rocks and 1 white silke 1 black silkie

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] I was wondering what you were talking about! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by