1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickabator, Jan 19, 2008.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have 26 6 week old RIR 2 red star cockerells and 2 br cockerells I have been feeding them starter/grower since birth but on the bag of the feed it says to stop feeding it to them at 6 weeks old . the feed stores here do not sell grower by itself what else can I feed them. all my other chickens are fed what is called yard mix. it is a bunch of different seeds (corn cracked corn, sunflower laying pellets and a bunch of other seeds in it) hubby wants to get a grinder and grind some up for the babies but I don't know. we cant find a grinder. but my ? is what should we be feeding them? or what can we feed them. they are all feathered out but we still have them in a pen with heat on them it is so cold here right now I don't want to put them out I am afraid they will die from the cold. tonight it is suppose to be -2 what do you all feed your chicks at that age?

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    mine are still eating chick starter at like 3MONTHS lol...i really dont think it matters but once we run out of food, were getting our refular chicken food [​IMG]

3. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I think it's important to remember what they'd be eating in the wild. A little of this and that: seed and insects...whatever they can find. I think your chicks will be fine if you grind what you've got.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If what you have is starter/grower and not just starter, then that is meant to be fed till laying age. But, why do you have 28 cockerels, if I may ask? Are you wanting to fatten them up to eat or what do you plan to do with them? Were they packing peanuts?
    I feed starter/grower and sometimes, an all purpose feed for poultry with low calcium when they hit about 3-4 months old, mixed in with the starter. When the girls start laying or are showing signs of imminent laying, I start them on layer or breeder feed.

5. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have 26 rhode island reds most of wich are pullets 2 barred rock cockerells 2 red star cockerells. I think they are 4 of the rir that are cockerelles

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, I must have misread all the numbers and wondered why you had almost 30 roosters! I think I need new glasses or need to read slower!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by