I have a question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StormyMoon, Jul 27, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I got my cuckoo maran on the 2nd of july I thought she had been laying eggs all this time cause I was getting a light brown egg from my BO and a little darker egg from someone who I thought was the cuckoo maran but then today I found a VERY extremely dark egg but it was teeny tiny about 2 inches long
    [​IMG]

I ran out of food Monday and have had to dig into my winter stash of cracked corn to feed them and then today I find this little egg. I think maybe she hasn't been laying all this time and I have a chicken laying that I wasn't aware was laying. The egg is a lot darker than the large egg I dont know if you can see the difference in the picture.
    My question is , is it possible corn could cause a chicken to start laying?
    The man I got her from said she never laid eggs for him.

2. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    :claphow old is the moran... i do not know about the corn...i know they need alot of protien to lay and some cracked corn. i went on vacation for a week and my friend was feeding my girls the wrong feed.... which was scratch(corn, seeds, and stuff) they stopped laying. it took me a week to get them to lay again. If she is young she maybe just starting to lay which thier eggs are odd size and color. the moran is known for the darkest eggs around (chocolate eggs) i hope she does lay for you.

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:She was 1 yr old when she was given to me but the man said in all the time he had her she never laid an egg, She had never been free ranged before had always lived in a cage and he had no use for a non layer she wasn't even broody just would not lay eggs.
    When I got her I let her free range and I thought her and 2 other girls I have was laying eggs I was getting 3 a day 1 blue, 1 light brown and 1 slightly darker than the light brown like the big egg in the picture. So I assumed the darker was hers, but now I think I am wrong and I have a sneaky layer I do have BR , EE, BO, but I thought the BR are to young to lay eggs I have had them for 4 months but according to the Feed store they was almost 6 weeks when I got them so they are 5 months and 1 week something like that and I have been getting eggs straight for 2 weeks or more.

I had never fed corn cause I was told not to during the hot seasons cause it will stop them from laying eggs, cause it is a hot feed. Right now unless my old man gets off early I really have no choice but to feed them the corn for the moment till I can get to the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by