I have a Question

cathunter10

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Piedmont, MO.
I was visiting a breeder yesterday and was looking at her Opals The lady volintered imformation that I would like clarified about Opals
1 Do a percentage of the pea hens die befor they reach maturity
2 Do a percentage of the cocks go blind befor reaching maturity
If this is a commin problem with the Opals Iwould like to know so that I can stay away from them even thow I certainaly would like4 to have the variety.
Thank you for your advice in advance.
Bill

I've read the Cameo and Peach can carry the blind gene and that many have had that variety go blind. Type "cameo peach blind" into SEARCH above on the right side. You can also type in "opal blind" and see what comes up. Sure would be sad to have that happen.

False on both 1 and 2 .

I have not see of hear either problem in the Opal.

Yes the blind gene has been found in the Cameo. Charcoal is the color that have problem with them dying early like 10 years and younger.

I raised the Opal before GO FOR THEM.

not real common now , lot have bred the blind gene out of them. Cameo did have the blind gene you find fewer of them now.

Happy to hear that Deerman. I'm sure I'll never have any of those mentioned. Started with IB, have a couple Pied and pair of full Green. Now I'm getting 75% Green from 1/2 green unrelated hens and did get 1 full Green chick from my pair. Some become pets I'd never part with and only have 5 acres. Love my Spaldings ....are they referred to Emerald if 75% Green?

Quote:
emerald was a name years ago..not so much now. 3/4 or higher. Spalding higher than 3/4 are now found in alot of colors...not just the emerald green.

Last edited:
Just saw where someone bought a Purple Black Shoulder Spalding youngster they're thrilled with. I'll have to look on websites for different colors.....hadn't even thought about them being bred that way. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom