I have a Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whitecra, Jun 30, 2008.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ok we hatch out and sell baby chicks during the summer time here. I have had some people tell me that you can tell if a chick is a hen or roo but holding it by the neck. If it just hangs its a hen and if it fights its a roo. Also someone told me that you can tell by their wing feathers. If they are even it is a hen and if the outside ones are longer it is a hen. Oh and this one got me. This lady told me that you can tell by the eggs. She said an egg that is mostly round will be a hen and one with a real pointed small end will be a roo. So have any of you heard of any of these and if so do any of them work for you?
    Chris

2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I've researched and asked here before. And you know what. Your chances of finding out before the obvious happens is as good as throwing a coin in the air and calling heads or tails! I tried the shape of the egg, the way their feathers lay, and yes, I even hung my little babies upside down to see who will react! But in the end, it didn't matter. I've loved all of them. Time flies so quickly anyway. You will notice soon enough. And by then you will be thinking about the time they were hatched out! GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

3. whitecra

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is what I thought about it also. I just don't understand where people come up with these things. The egg one was really strange to me. Really all of them were strange to me.
    Chris

4. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    the best thing i've found is to startle them. yeah i'm mean but the roos stand up and the hens duck, usually.

5. whitecra

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I hadn't heard that one yet.
    Chris

6. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i found it online when i got my first chicks. wave a hat over them or something. you can't have been standing there staring at them for awhile first though and you have to count the roos quick. might split them into small groups first especially if you want to mark them so you know. it's kind of neat cause of twenty i had about five roos and when i tried it they stood up tall. of course there are the ones that weren't paying attention so i had to do it a few times over several days. they might get used to it otherwise. it's the most accurate way i found since i don't have a chicken sexing degree. now quick, run and scare your chicks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by