I have a question

hairco

Songster
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
My 2 pea chicks that my cousin gave me were born in July and i have had them about 3 weeks and i have the in a wire brooder cage and it has wire bottom all the way.Do i need to make a wood box with a wood floor for them to go in and also do i need a light for them? I have never give them a worm treatment and was going to get the safe guard goat worm er and was wondering how much
per gal. The 1st picture was the pen they were in when i 1st got them and the 2st pen is where they are now which is the new pen. Thanks

I worm all of my birds orally by weight. The amount I use is 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

Some people put Safeguard in the water, but it does settle, so I'm not sure how effective that is... Not all birds drink the same amount at the same time, so those that drink a lot first will get more medicine than those that drink a little all day long. Make sense?

Was thinking about doing an experiment the test the settling of the wormer in water.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Mine were on wire bottom, and I still put a box for them to go in. I thought the wire was alot on there feet. I have them now on pine shavings. I mixed my safeguard with water 3 ml per gallon for 3-5 days then repeat in 14. Hope this helps.

I wormed mine mixing with water 3 ml per gallon for 3-5 days then repeat in 14 days. It does settle but I went into there cage every few hours and shook there water. Also mix fresh everyday. I found this helpful http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Peafowl Medications.htm
That probably got most worms *if* they each consumed 20mg/kg ( .2ml per 2.2 pounds of body weight) of medicine three days in a row. Mixing every couple of hours sounds like a good idea.

Warning: No offense intended to Hopkins, but there are many errors in that medication list, so I would thoroughly research dosage amounts.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom