I have a quick question,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trilyn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Is it possible to buy a half dozen eggs or full dozen of 2 different breeds? I am looking into getting an incubator (dh is buying it for me for x-mas!) and I just wanted to start small. I don't have a ton of room where I live and was curious if anybody would do this. I see all the time that you all sell eggs of one breed by the dozen. I am wanting to get some BCM's and lavender or splash Ameraucana's. What say you? Or if there is a reason for the dozen other than hatch rate, please explain to clueless here! Thanks!

To the mods-if this is in the wrong place, forgive me!!

2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I have seen 1/2 dozens for sale at quite a few different sites/breeders.

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have seen several people selling less then a dozen or a dozen that was the combo of different breeds.

4. trilyn

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Well, thank you both-apparently I can't read!! lol [​IMG]

5. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    now is the tough part....which ones to buy first??[​IMG]

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi, the reason for the dozen (which I prefer) is because shipped eggs typically do not hatch as well as eggs laid by your own chickens. So out of 6 eggs sometimes you only get 1-4 to hatch. Then you have to hope that you get at least 1 of each sex.
    The more eggs you start out with the better chance to have several chicks survive.

7. trilyn

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Yeah, I've read about the horror stories of shipped eggs. [​IMG] My dilemma is space, but I can always sell what I don't need and well....I have a feeling once I start I won't be able to hold myself back!! lol Now to find a breeder for really, really dark chocolate Marans eggs and gorgeous sky blue Ameraucan or Araucana eggs-let the shopping begin! hehehehe [​IMG]

Anyone know any good breeders for Marans and Ameraucanas?

8. trilyn

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:hmmm........I may have to flip a coin! Or talk my dh into a bigger incubator?!!

9. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Yeah, I've read about the horror stories of shipped eggs. [​IMG] My dilemma is space, but I can always sell what I don't need and well....I have a feeling once I start I won't be able to hold myself back!! lol Now to find a breeder for really, really dark chocolate Marans eggs and gorgeous sky blue Ameraucan or Araucana eggs-let the shopping begin! hehehehe [​IMG]

You can go to the Ameraucana breeders club for a list of breeders that sell eggs http://www.ameraucana.org/, I know that there is one for Marans as well I just haven't been on that one.

10. trilyn

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse

You can go to the Ameraucana breeders club for a list of breeders that sell eggs http://www.ameraucana.org/, I know that there is one for Marans as well I just haven't been on that one.

Thank you!! I'll be checking that out for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by