I have a rhodesian ridgeback mix will it kill my chickens?

LerkerNoMore

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
Massachusets
So I have a Rhodesian ridgeback mix and I was wondering if it would kill my chickens if I did get chickens. I have a rabbit and a cat that walk around the house with the dog all day with no problems. It has shown no signs of aggression so will it be safe? It is 8 1/2 years old.

Any dog will kill chickens.. It's just their nature. But with proper training and a watchful eye and IMMEDIATE correction if an incident occurs the dog can be trained to not kill them.

In fact I have a friend who has a whole passel of chickens and a German Shepherd and one day when I was over there a chicken got loose and got back where we couldn't get to it and THE DOG walked back in there, grabbed the chicken gently by the neck and brought it out to my friend. So yes dogs can most certainly be trained not to kill chickens, even when they have a golden opportunity to do so.

Good luck with the training.
thumbsup.gif

Thank You and I will do my best to train her I got here a few years ago from a shelter when her elderly owners passed away :( but she's a good dog and I hope she will not kill all of my chickens when I finally decide to get them.

Your best bet is to make sure your chickens have a VERY secure coop and run. If you want to free range, I would suggest giving dog and chickens separate yard time. When the dog is out, the chickens are locked up. When the dog is in (if she comes in), the chickens can range. If dog is an all the time outdoor dog, no free ranging until you've put in some serious training time and feel comfortable that she won't bother them. It would be a while, I think, before I'd leave her unsupervised, even with training.

If you wanted to free range you could also put up a fence for the dog to stay in. I would use either chain-link or 2x4 welded wire and put an electric wire at the top and bottom of the fence. They typically don't get outta that. Just saying. That way doggy has yard time and chickens have yard time and nobody is killing or being killed.

Good ideas but when I do get chickens they will be in a secure coop on the other side of the fence that the dog is Thank you for all your replies
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom