I have a Rhodie that 'misses' a lot when pecking at stuff.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jun 10, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    My girls freerange a lot, several hours every day. I have noticed that one of my Rhodies misses a lot when she pecks at bugs or even a flake of oats or something. For instance, the other day she was chasing an ant and kept pecking behind it. She clearly SAW is but kept missing. Also, this week my girls have been gorging on grubs I have been digging up in my garden. She will spot them every bit as quickly as the others but when she goes for it she often misses (a fairly good sized target) and one of the others get it. I feel so bad for her that I will get one and hand feed it to her and after a few misses she will usually get it bt it just seems wierd that she misses. I am not too worried abouut her vision because she spotes things just as well as the others. I am not really worried, per se. Just a curious thing.

Thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like she can see but it's distorted somehow -- purely a guess. Maybe in time she will learn to adjust? Not something I've heard of before, sorry.

3. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    myopia ?

[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Lil' Bit was blind in one eye and she behaved as you described. It throws off their distance perception.

Watch that she has a full crop each day. It takes them longer to hit the food in the feeder and sometimes the other chickens don't have the patience for it and will push a slow eater out of the way.

Does your hen have any trouble jumping up on the roost at night?

5. abqfarm

abqfarm New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    I have one like that as well. I call her my 'special needs' chick. It took us a little while to realize it but now, when they eat treats out of my hand, I make sure to have a big enough pile to hit. I also use a feeder that gives them a broader 'bite' area. She started out the smallest of the bunch but now she is by far the biggest.

I kept thinking she would adjust but I now don't think it will happen. They are about 8 weeks old and she still does the same thing. I think it really frustrates her but I honestly don't know what else to do. She'll just have to go through life that way I suppose.

Interesting to hear that someone else has a similar issue.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Don't give up hope. My Lil' Bit had a very happy, normal life. My roo seemed to sense she was different somehow and took very good care of her. When he would try to beak feed her, she would invariably miss and hit his face multiple times before finally zero'ing in on the treat. He, Thor, would stand stock still until she was able to get the treat.
    Lil' Bit also learned to wait for me by the coop door each night and I would place her on the roost, close to Thor. They had a very special relationship.
    Lil'Bit was a blessing to me in alot of ways.

7. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:That's the wired thing is that she is right in the mix with everyone else. She eats totally fine and roosts with no problem. I know her crop is just as full as the others because I checked them all because one of them was showing a couple signs of sour crop.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a RIR hen that was blind in one eye. You could tell by looking at her that one of her eyes wasn't right. The other hens would pick on her so I always gave her some special attention. When I put some treats out she would miss out as she couldn't get them but she ate fine from the feeder and drank ok out of the waterer. She never went up on the top roost but did roost on a lower one.

9. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I have one like this. She's a Golden Comet (RIR/RIW), and her aim is a little off when I'm hand-feeding mealworms. She does best if the mealworm is directly above her head, but anywhere else, she pecks and misses and just breaks it out of my fingers. When it's above her head, she's spot on and gets the whole worm. I also noticed that when I'm passing out halved grapes, she doesn't grab it and chow down like the others do. She likes me to hold it while she pecks everything out of the skin. This drives the other chickens crazy and they usually jump up and grab it out of my fingers. She's adorable.

10. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Definitely not the case here. Her eyes are bright and her pupils adjust very quickly as the other girls do. She eats normal, drinks, roosts etc.

Hmm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by