I have a rooster with an eye that is sealed shut and green nose gunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jasont, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jasont

Jasont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    I have arooster that has not been acting himself latley. He has become lethargic and unsociable. His eye had what looked like foam in it yesterday and today it is sealed shut with a yellow crust. This morning he had some greenish yellow gunk coming out of his nose. Now he is just holding his beak open and does not want to "wake up" When i first noticed this i seperated him from my flock... so now he is in quarintene... any ideas out there??

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
  3. Jasont

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    Thanks for the reply. I looked at the link and it was very helpful. There was some sneezing. I cleaned his nasty beak yesterday and tried to get him to "blow his nose." This morning he seems to be doing a little better. He is more alert and less lethargic. I kept him warm all night and i think that may have helped quite a bit. I hate it when one gets sick... i always fear that some disease is going to make its way through the whole coop... thanks again...

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jason, you need to see which ones make them carriers for life. They don't get colds like humans do, but diseases more like herpes/HIV that keep them a danger to other birds. Sometimes the only real cure is to euthanize them, a harsh reality for chicken-keepers. Most old-time chicken keepers never, ever treat respiratory disease because the birds have a compromised immune system and will have relapses.

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I 100% agree with what Cynthia said.

6. Jasont

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to give you an update on what was going on. I had to "dispose" of our rooster. After reading all I read on the link you provided and doing more research on my own, I felt it best to put Casper out of his misery. The good news is that so far, none of the girls or my other roos have had any symptoms at all. Thanks again. Jason

7. speckledhen

Sorry about the rooster, Jason. I hope the others don't come down with anything. I always say that being exposed to something doesn't necessarily mean they will catch it, especially if their immune systems are really strong.

8. Jasont

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    When I first noticed him I seperated him so I am hoping no one else was exposed. I thought he was getting better but he took a turn for the worse and I could not stand seeing him suffering. Other than the 22 degree temps tonight, they all seem very well. They are spoiled with heaters and special cooked food when it gets this cold.

9. speckledhen

You did good, then. Hoping that it all turns out okay for the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by