I have a self-roasting chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 21, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's been unusally cold here in WA so we've had a heat lamp in the coop for the past 3 days. It's got a guard on it.

Today I went out and was checking on the girls. I picked up my banty cochin and noticed that her wing looked weird. Upon closer inspection I could see that someone had clipped her wing. [​IMG] Why?!?

Then I looked closely and saw that, no, her wing wasn't clipped: it was burned! [​IMG] Upon further inspection I found that the fluff on her haunch has been singed back quite a bit, maybe an inch or more. Her skin isn't burned and she has more than enough down & fluff to keep her warm on that side. She reeks of burned feathers. I found a chunk of burned feathers in the coop. I can't figure out how she did it. Maybe the bigger birds pushed her too close to the lamp? She has been parking her wee little rump in front of the lamp but I didn't think she could get close enough to it.

I moved the heat lamp... AGAIN. Until she molts, she'll look even funnier than normal (she has a twisted beak).

My mom pointed out that I've got a self-roasting chicken.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww!..isnt that a sweet girl!..trying to help you out....[​IMG]..

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I catch my banty sleeping on top of the standard sized hens sometimes. Maybe she got burned making a chicken pyramid?

Roast chicken sounds good. I'm hungry. [​IMG]

4. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I'd love to see a pic of her with her twisted beak.

5. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Quote:me too [​IMG]

6. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] sounds like something one of ours would do

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sure... FORCE me to show you pics of my chicken. [​IMG] Here's Tribble, before she did her self-roasting bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine all the fluff on the right side of this picture... gone!
    [​IMG]

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Love that last photo she looks like she been caught with her hand in the cookie jar! [​IMG]

9. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    [​IMG] HAA HAA! totally!

what a cutie pie! glad she is okay!

10. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yeah, she's a total cutie. I like to bring her into the house & let her sit on my lap because, well, she just doesn't move much! You plop her down & an hour later she hasn't budged. Plus she's really soft & fluffy, and her poop is not runny.

Unfortunately she's prone to mites. Gross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by