I have a sick chick with eye shut, swollen under it's eye, and hoarse sounding.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by opossum04, Mar 22, 2013.

1. opossum04

opossum04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    Can someone please tell me what this is and what to do?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What else can you tell us? How old is the chick? How long has it been this way? Has any other chicken or chicks been sick?
    Based on the vague info. you've mentioned so far, I'd guess a severe respiratory issue of some kind. You can try Tylan 50, but that's injected into the breast muscle, and I'm not sure what you're willing to try...

3. opossum04

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    I[qiuote name="teach1rusl" url="/t/757652/i-have-a-sick-chick-with-eye-shut-swollen-under-its-eye-and-hoarse-sounding#post_10747133"]What else can you tell us?  How old is the chick?  How long has it been this way?  Has any other chicken or chicks been sick? 
    Based on the vague info. you've mentioned so far, I'd guess a severe respiratory issue of some kind.  You can try Tylan 50, but that's injected into the breast muscle, and I'm not sure what you're willing to try...
    [/quotes ]it is three weeks old. Another chick lethargic but not bad yet. I have some terramycin and electrolytes on hand. What about other chicks with it? Can I medicate them to prevent them from getting this?

4. teach1rusl

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ratory-going-through-silkie-flock-need-advice

Read through this thread. See if the OP's description of her birds sounds like what you're dealing with. The responders list a few different things that could be wrong. Go ahead and try the terramycin...it certainly can't hurt, and may help. But tylan 50 really does pack a punch. My dog/cat vet (who keeps chickens) says tylan is pretty much the strongest thing out there for chickens (although it's not manufactured for chickens). If the terra. doesn't work and you want to try the tylan (sold at TS and other feed stores...reasonable price), feel free to pm me and I'll walk you through how to administer it, based on how I've administered it.

5. opossum04

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    Thank you so much. I'm a horse trainer by trade so I give shots a lot, but never to a chick. Lol. What size needle do you use?
    Is it subq or in muscle? Can I medicate other chicks to prevent spread?

6. teach1rusl

I used a 28 guage, 1/2 inch insulin needle (you have to ask for them at most pharmacies...kept behind the counter). I don't know if they make a 1/4 in. needle...which would be nice for a chick. I administered three days straight, into the breast muscle, alternating breasts each time. The thing is, a three week old chick probably doesn't have much breast muscle yet... I believe I gave my girl 1cc, but she was probably 5 pounds. So if you try it, maybe .25?? The smaller they are, the scarier they are to give shots to, at least for me. I've read that some give it in the water, but I'm not sure how well that works??? You might look for some threads about using tylan in water.

7. teach1rusl

8. opossum04

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    Well, first baby died and now another sick one. They were in brooder with about 12 other chicks. Should I give tylan 50 to all the chicks in brooder? I put some tetracycline in their water.

9. teach1rusl

I would probably try the tetra. for a few days straight for the others, and depending on how bad the other sick chick is, would either go ahead and do tylan 50 or give the tetra a few days to kick in. You'll have to use your best judgement based on how far along her illness is. If it's close to where the other was, I'd definitely use Tylan.
    Sorry you lost the one chick... [​IMG]

10. opossum04

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    Ok, I have lost another one and three more sick. This is getting serious. I just saw one poop bloody, the first two did not. A choc Wyandotte was dead in brooder and another pooping blood like coccidia. This is a nightmare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by