I have a sick chicken, and I'm not sure from what.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommissan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    One of my girls are not feeling well. She just started laying a week ago. No eggs for the past week. I felt her abdomen, but I don't feel any eggs anywhere. I don't think she's egg bound. I noticed a roundworm in a poop during the week so I treated the flock with piperazine Saturday. Her symptoms started Friday so I assumed it was the worms. Now I'm not so sure.

Here's the situation:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Standard size, mixed breed, approximately 8 months old, feeling pretty light/thin.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Sluggish, tail down, not eating or drinking.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    This is the third day. Symptoms began Friday morning and has become worse.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I originally thought that it was a complication from a bad roundworm infestation in the flock. Piperazine was given to the flock, but she did not eat or drink much. I also recently cleaned the coop, replacing ALL the litter (pine shavings) and straw in the nest boxes. I also sprinkled DE in the litter for the first time.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Only thing she gobbled down was a few pieces of bread and a few bites of yogurt on Saturday morning, a few hours after they were wormed. Not interested in anything since.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Was watery with green clumps and smelly. Now it's watery with whitish streaks. Not particularly smelly anymore.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Piperazine for roundworms, water and electrolytes.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I will treat her myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No wounds.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
    Currently in a rabbit cage on newspaper and straw in my basement. It is warm, quiet and dark there. She seems to be more stable down there.

She still has a lot of fight in her. I separated her from the flock because she isn't able to compete for food or water. Her crop seemed a little squishy earlier, so I massaged it some. She fussed when I washed her pasty butt and managed to "puke" all the liquid from her crop all over me. No smell; just some grit and clear liquid, maybe some white stuff, but hardly any. She hasn't eaten any but I have given her water and electrolytes with a dropper, maybe a half ounce. Her crop is mostly empty now. Her comb and wattles are still very red looking, and her flesh underneath still looks a healthy pink. I have not seen any roundworms pass that I know of. I'm guessing a blockage somewhere?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Did you see her drink the piperazine? Did she drink enough of it to be effective? Sick birds wont drink at all unless its forced into them.

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    She drank some, but probably not more than a spoonful. Should I force her to take more? If I mix up a batch, should I make sure she gets the the prescribed 3 ounces? Don't ask me where I read that.....

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:LOL, I wont ask. You can use a syringe to force her to drink more. Pull her wattles down and her mouth will open. Take your preloaded syringe and slowly squirt the liquid in her mouth and release her wattles so that she'll swallow the liquid on her own...repeat as necessary. If she is infested with roundworms, you may or may not see them in her poop the next day. They will most likely be absorbed in her digestive system. You should see improvement in 2-3 days. A day after worming her, feed her a mash of scrambled egg and buttermilk for a few days. The scrambled egg is extra protein for her to help build up strength. The buttermilk is a probiotic and will help rebuild her immune system. It also coats her digestive tract where the roundworms were attached. Yogurt is a good probiotic, but tends to pass through them, buttermilk is better. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by