1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a sick chicken and need some advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britania86, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Britania86

Britania86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    I have just recently had a sick chicken that died. and now I have another. He lives by his self and has for a long time. but this morning I found him to have a noise wheeze and when he crows it dont sound very good. He has runny poop that is kind of green. Is there any kind of vitamin or medicine that I can give him? He is probable about 8 pounds and almost a year old.

I know that sometimes they just git sick and die but he is a pet and would like to help him if I could. He is eating and drinking and still active.
    The other chicken I never knew until it was to late she gust got to were she was wanting to be by her self and then didnt want to move a lot and didnt eat then died, I just hope that it wont happen to him.
    If any one can help please do.

2. Britania86

Britania86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Ok today he is not any better he is still wheezing and its like he is breathing through his mouth his poop is ok or looks normal not green or runny he is eating a little and drinking but to day his comb looks like it is darker than usual. I am giving him treatments of mentholated water as a vapor in a small cage covered with a towel to see if it is blocked mucus but it dont seem to help. I am also putting in his water vitamin C and a cuple od drops of super silica, and cell power they are dissolved oxygen and minerals with electrolytes, one is to help add oxygen to your cells for more support and the other is to help repair cells.

If any one has any other help that they could give me I would appreciate it.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Tylan is the antibiotic of choice when dealing with a respiratory infection. I can't tell you much more than that about it because I don't use it.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by