I have a sick chicken HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iadorethesea, Dec 7, 2007.

1. iadorethesea

iadorethesea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2007
    I have a hen that is 8 months old. The last week or so it has been acting sick. It just goes off by itself and puts its beak under its wing and just stands there. It does not go out with the other 5 hens. Also her feces is yellow and runny. I don't know what to do for her. She just acts like she does not feel good. Help. This is my first year for having chickens.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know what she may have. Has she been in contact with new chickens recently? Does she free range?
    Make sure she drinks, with runny poop, they dehydrate real fast.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...you should really take an ample sample of her poo in for a faecal exam... this will determine if she has cocci or worms (or both) ...

4. iadorethesea

iadorethesea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2007
    I called the vet today. He said he wants to give her some antibiotic for 5 days and see how she does. All the other chickens are ok. I have separated this sick one form the rest. Hopefully the antibiotics will help.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    did the vet do a faecal? (they are not or should not be expensive)...if not insist he do one

6. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    hope everything works out for ya..

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Is that vet giving antiobiotics without seeing her or examining bodily fluids? That is completely inappropriate..call another vet. You never want to treat a chicken with antibiotics without knowing what you are dealing with. Please don't give them to her and ask him to check her for worms and coccidiosis. Any vet can do these tests from a fecal sample. Tell him you'd like to rule this out first before starting the antibiotics.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by