I have a sick chicken that I need help with

chookun

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
I am new to raising chickens and new to this group. A friend recommended I look here for answers. Hopefully you guys can help in some way.

I only have two hens and one of them is noticably sick. I first saw her looking this way just yesterday. She is a mix breed layer about 1 year old, whom has been off the lay now since the beginning of Winter. They both were, although as the weather has started to warm up again (I'm in Central Qld), the other is laying again. We were getting two eggs a day for about a week during that time but haven't had 2 for a long time again. I assumed the weather changes had something to do with this.

Anyway, yesterday I went out to feed/clean/collect and saw that she had a floppy comb, was looking rather listless and when encouraged, refused water or food. I picked her up (they both love cuddles!) and she seemed really weak. I felt her tummy and around the area the egg comes out (no idea of the name of this!) and it seemed to be ok, no lumps or swellings. She seemed to vomit a small amount of fluid, seemed to be bile like as it was yellowy green to clear. Her poo was watery yesterday as well. I put her in her bed and hoped that she'd make it through the night. Weekends up here are hopeless for anything to be open so I knew I couldn't do a thing about it even if I wanted to.

Today, I checked on her and she seems a littler perkier but still very flat. I noticed her poo has slightly thickened but still rather watery. I gave her half a small tomato (her fave food!) and she took it from me very slowly. She even had a drink of water and was walking around, albeit slow. She is still very sick looking though and her comb is still quite floppy. I was hoping her eating and drinking is a sign of improvement although I'd still like to know what else we could do to speed up the process.

I truly appreciate any help on this matter and thank you all for your time.

Cheers

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Sorry to hear your hen is sick.
hugs.gif
Have your hens been wormed? You could try giving her some cooked/hard boiled egg for protein. I hope others can help give you more information. Hope she she gets feeling better.

Hi, and thank you for the welcome.

They haven't been wormed at all. TBH, I never even knew they needed it until now. What is the best worming treatment for them?

Here is a link and information about worming https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=what+to+worm+chickens+with This site is great! You can choose the forum you want information on and type in a question in the Search and it will bring up past post relating to your question. It can be faster than waiting for someone to answer your question. Most questions have already been asked by someone and answered by knowledgeable members.
love.gif
The members here are really great and always willing to help ! Glad you joined us!!!

Back
Top Bottom