I have a sick chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 10 pollos, May 18, 2009.

1. 10 pollos

10 pollos Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    I'm very new at this. I've only had my chickens for a couple of weeks and I seem to have one that is not doing very well. She has been like this for a few days, One of her eyes seems to be closed most of the time, she sits quietly in the corner and as far as I could tell she only drinks when I give her water with the dropper. Could anyone help?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    How old is she? Does she freerange? Is she laying?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. 10 pollos

May 11, 2009
    She is about 5 months old, and has not started laying yet (none of them have) They are in a fenced area about 20x10.

4. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Get electrolytes in the water. If the chick is "just hatched" get her under a heat lamp at 95 - 98 degrees. PLEASE be exact in temp so get a thermometer. To low or to high will now be good.
    How old the chick is will depend on the temp. of the brooder.

5. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops disregard my heat lamp suggestion.

6. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Check her for poultry lice. Lift the feathers at the back of her neck in several places, see if there is anything moving on the skin. Check around her vent for mites.
    Feel her abdomen to make sure it is not to hard or too soft. (Pick up a healthy hen to compare)
    Has she been wormed?

7. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Thought of more stuff......

Is her poo normal?
    Try giving her mashed hard boiled eggs w/ plain cultured yoghurt and some electrolytes or poultry vitamins.

8. 10 pollos

May 11, 2009
    Thanks! I will do that as soon as I get home.

9. 10 pollos

May 11, 2009
    I'm not sure if they were wormed.They were vacinated. Do I feed her with a dropper?

10. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Use the dropper only if she refuses food completely. She should be enticed with the eggs & yoghurt.
    If she's not drinking, use the dropper to keep her hydrated......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by