i have a sick hen please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dippydiane, Jul 26, 2014.

1. dippydiane

dippydiane Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    new to BYC and need help fast please, my barr rock hen is sick her symptoms are having trouble standing some, her gizzard is packd full, she acts sleepy, stools r loose, i also notice they have undigested corn in it
    can u help

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. hetherfeather

hetherfeather In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    ok, first of all make sure she has easily accessed CLEAN water, and food. Isolate her from the other hens, and try to get her to sip some water. your barred rock probably has a digestion problem, for that i would switch her feed to oyster shell grit, this will discourage her to eat too much, and will help the indigestion. Do not keep her feed bowl full, limit the amount of food she is consuming! if she eats too much, she might be extremely ingured, or even die.
    this could be as simple as a change in her feed, or she could have a bad disease. Keep searching! i hope she will be ok!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You need to isolate her and give her water only for 24 hours. If you know how to syringe water down her throat or even tube water into her, get as much water as you can into her. Massage her crop to help break up the impaction. It should start to move if you can do these things. But do not feed her until this hard mass moves.

Definitely stop by our emergency section and post this question. I hope she is going to be ok.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have been given some good advice by the other BYC members and a good link by Mountain Peeps. I hope your Barred Rock hen will be okay. Good luck.

6. dippydiane

dippydiane Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    I tried all kinds of things epson salts, olive oil, etc. Bless her heart she died at the vets office. He did a autopsy said her crop, craw, was impacted, her kidney was enlarged and had a wierd color. He said the oystershells i was feeding her mixed in food had a big part in it. The shells have metals in them like mercury and other heavy metals. He is also checking other possibilites. give update soon
    So be careful with mixing oyster shells in birds feed. i have stopped. Right now, i"m just feeding them cracked corn

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm so sorry to hear that she passed away. It's always hard to lose one of our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: