I have a sick homeless hen

AnimalChick329

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2017
Arizona
This hen showed up in our neighborhood in October 2016 and has been free ranging it. We tried catching it to give it to someone with chickens when she first showed up but no one could catch her. 8 days ago she started wobbling around and had a drooping wing. I was able to catch her then. I put her in a dog crate in my house and tended the wing (which turned out not to be broken) as I have done when my Macaw broke his wing. Anyway, she was eating and drinking fine then... but has since stopped eating or drinking when presented with food. She still poops some and it's very runny. It was tremendously stinky as well but has since stopped smelling as bad after I started giving her water with Apple Cider Vinegar in it as suggested by a friend. She still doesn't eat unless I force it. I had some pellets I bought from a feed and seed that are for laying hens because she was laying eggs. (I have only found about 10 total, not sure if she laid any anywhere else other than my yard and garage.) They are sort of a peach color but I found some that look white and some that look like white with a tint of blue, but not really "blue". So I have been mashing up the pellets and putting them in yogurt and ground up egg shell as well... just for some extra calcium if that is the problem. She will not walk but she does kick her legs if I'm prodding and she doesn't like it. I had read that they can get a sour crop or an impacted crop... I *tried* to get her to clear it as I saw it demonstrated on YouTube but really I just ****** her off and she pooped on me. Any idea of what I could be, what I should be doing, etc. My vet doesn't see chickens so I'm on my own with this.

It's hard to say exactly what might be wrong with her, although she has some neurological deficiencies that could be from a vitamin deficiency or possibly from Mareks disease. Mareks is usually seen in much younger chickens, so maybe it's not that. I would give her layer feed, a teaspoonful of yogurt a couple of times a week in her food, and maybe add a poultry vitamin or some B Complex to her feed or water daily. Starving is also common in Mareks. Chickens will usually eat chopped up egg and feed that has been mixed with water to make it thin.

Mareks was the first thing I came up with because she was dropping a wing and stumbling around. She won't walk but she will kick at me if she isn't happy with what I'm doing... like giving her a bath. She poops on herself so she is getting one a few times per day. The pink in the water you see in the photo is a b-complex vitamin. I also bought some Duramycin-10 because it was suggested at the feed and seed but when I put it in her water she won't drink at all. She has lost a full pound in the last week. She weighed 2 pounds 5.60 ounces when I took her in and now she weighs 1 pound 13.50 oz.

It doesn't sound like she will survive. If you had other chickens or your neighbors did, I would want to get a diagnosis by getting a necropsy (autopsy) on her by the state vet or poultry lab. Mareks can remain in the environment for years and can be spread by wild birds or other chickens. To make her more comfortable, you could try to put her in a chicken sling or chair to get her up out of her droppings, and seated in front of her food and water. Try feeding her some chopped egg or tuna bits, and using water in her chick feed. I will post some pictures.

Thank you! That is what I thought as well. I'll see about a sling because she is not loving getting a bath everyday. But considering she is eating when it is forced on her and pooping, I'm guessing that's a good sign she doesn't have a blockage? That she makes no sound, I don't really understand. Is it ok to feed her berries? She seems to like then and I thought a natural source of vitamins might be good.

If she is eating chicken feed, berries would be okay for a treat. She is a sweet and pretty little hen. Here are some chicken slings:

0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b.jpg

LL
LL

cc058b117477cb11e4dd2c55df6672bf.jpg
6de4b52e7602da3575d7b8b3d14acc15.jpg
chickensling-500x276.jpg
7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who tried helping me sort out what was wrong with this little hen. She died on Saturday, but thank to everyone's help she did so being taken care of. Thanks again!

I'm so sorry to hear that she died. Such a tragedy. It was so kind of you to go through so much effort to give this hen the best end possible. Best Wishes!

Thank you to everyone who tried helping me sort out what was wrong with this little hen. She died on Saturday, but thank to everyone's help she did so being taken care of. Thanks again!
I am sorry that you lost her. She was a pretty little hen. It's good to know that she is not suffering, and sure that she enjoyed the comfort you gave her.

Back
Top Bottom