1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a sick little girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mankatogirls, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mankatogirls

mankatogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Mankato, MN
    Hi, I hate to register for some free advise but I'm looking for all the help I can get. I've had girls for 3 yrs now and this is the first time one's been sick. A two year old leg horn typically very skiddish and stays away from humans. But for the past week she's just not been herself. Sleeping a ton standing next to the wood burning stove, not eating or drinking much, loose green stool and let's me cradle and rock her. She seems to be loosing weight also. Her breast bone is very predominant now. When she lays eggs in the past they are usually very thin shells or break before I collect them. In the past week her poop has collected on her feathers so I've trimmed them. The country vet doesn't work with chickens much...not much help. As of this morning, I did a warm soak in the sink and some liquid calcium if she is egg bound. The other 7 girls are outside and running, pecking just fine so I am warry to think of Coccidiosis. Color of comb is good. Any thoughts???

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear that one of your girls is sick :hugs sounds like it could be coccidiosis or worms. Here is an article on it with the symptoms https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

You could try tempting her with some tasty food such as cooked egg or tuna fish, something that's going to tempt her into eating. Also starting her on the appropriate treatment as soon as you can. Posting in the emergencies injuries cure section of the forum too for the expert help should help. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you find the answers your looking for and that she is back to full health soon :frow

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. SuperLuke

SuperLuke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    When was the last you wormed here? Could it possibly be worms?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your sick hen! I definitely would post in the Emergencies section for some more good answers.Yorkshire Coop has provided you with some good links to look at.

5. mankatogirls

mankatogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Mankato, MN
    Thank you for your thought and suggestions. The links and other articles are all I've done for the last 48 hours trying to help. Just trying everything at this point. I will keep you updated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by