I have a sick show chicken with unusual symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechickentender0622, Apr 4, 2018.

1. thechickentender0622

thechickentender0622 Hatching

Apr 4, 2018
    Hiya! I could use some advice.

One of my Colombian Bantam Hens I use for showing is sick (I think)
    She is keeping her head close to her chest, is kind of crouching when she walks, and keeps retreating to the corner of her coop and laying with her head towards the wall. She is eating, drinking and breathing fine. I have checked her vent and it isn't blocked with poop. I have dealt with sick chickens before but not with these symptoms. Has anyone experienced this? What should I do to help her?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The chicken is pretty old. I don't know her exact age but based on her very rare laying cycle and her dry, pale feet we have been told she is an older hen.

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

She definitely isn’t feeling well. I assume since she is a show chicken, you handle her frequently? Any changes in her breast muscle, crop, or abdomen? When was the last time she went to a show? Could she have contracted coccidiosis?

3. thechickentender0622

Apr 4, 2018
    I did notice that she has lost a little weight, her crop is normal. I assumed that maybe the other couple of hens in her coop were preventing her from eating. I have her in a separate cage and so far she hasn't scarfed food or acted like she is super hungry. Also, this chicken hasn't been to a show since late October, and the symptoms just started last week so I don't believe she contracted whatever this is from other birds.

micstrachan likes this.
  4. thechickentender0622

Apr 4, 2018
    The more I research Coccidiosis the more I am convinced that is what it is. It is often hot and humid where I live. While my show birds get plenty of space, there is always a possibility that is what it is. Thank you so much for your advice

micstrachan likes this.
  5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Good luck. There is no harm in treating for coccidiosis. It can take a chicken down quickly, so you might want to treat her (and the rest of the flock) right away. Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: