I have a Silkie??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FortWorthChicks, Jan 4, 2010.

1. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So here I may sound silly but .. are all silkies bantams?

Thanks for any help!!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep I am sure some people have breed them with other birds and gotten larger ones but silkies in general are bantams

3. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks... You know I got that roo. Who is having a great time of it with his new ladies but I was thinking of getting him some silkie ladies and making a seperate run for them.

You have alot of answers by the way! I really appreciate it. I wonder how many girls he would need so that the girls would be comfortable... I can only have six more where I live haha.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Yes. Silkies are one of the only 'natural' bantams, meaning that they were not bred down from larger fowl, like other bantams have been.

There are in fact breeders who are working towards breeding up to a large fowl size, but its so far been unsuccessful.

5. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Somehow I feel like I need to set up a little portable run and get some silkie hens for Enous. I let the big girls roam the backyard most of the day. and then I can put them up in their run and let the silkies out to play while were in the backyard.

I spend alot of time out there.. lol I think I need some silkie pullets. :S.. first I gotta get my husband to make me a little tractor thing!

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They have large size silkies in europe, man them buggers are big compared to their bantams(like a sebright vs a buff orp). I always liked the large fowl better and was very dissapointed when we moved to north america and for the most part no one here has even heard of the large fowl silkies [​IMG] Over here I would call the size a medium. They are not as small as the bantams I have seen at shows in germany.

7. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Well adopting this silky has sealed yet another deal. I went looking for banty runs/coop tractor scenes online and at the feed store. I found it (THE ONE) haha. Didn;t buy it but I will probably be back today or tomorrow to get it.

I had to do some sweet talkin the hubby before spending the money because he thinks he has to do everything himself and well I wanted this one! he just texted me. (I can build it)

Uggg... as if..... so anyway now I want a few silkie hens to add to the garden.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I agree that there seem to be all "sizes" of bantams her in North America. The ABA ASP lists the acceptable weights for silkies. I consider our silkies true bantams and their weight is about in the middle to lower end of the "size" scale.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Ummm, silkies are the 2nd largest bantam--brahmas are ever so slightly larger.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Wouldn't that depend on whose line your talking about?

For instance, George breeds some amazon jungle beasts, while Angie Pearson's lines were rather petite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by