I have a silly rooster...anyone else have a silly rooster they want to go on and on about?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missnu01, Jan 18, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    He is huge, and totally useless as a rooster except for egg fertilizing, and breaking up fights...he doesn't pay attention to the hens outside at all...if something runs up he runs away..you know how a rooster will find food and call to his hens to come get it...not this guy..if he finds something he is going to gobble it up...luckily I have a little silkie rooster that watches out for everyone and sounds the alarm if he thinks it needs to be sounded...The useless rooster is also funny because he won't let any of the hens squabble about anything at all..nobody gets picked on, new or old, young, hurt, whatever...no chicken on chicken crime...not on his watch... None of the hens acknowledge the Silkie rooster though. They all follow the big guy, unless they hear the Silkie make his run away noise. So leaving the coop you have the large rooster, followed by the hens, and then the Silkie bringing up the rear..he follows all the rest around and he just watches everything until it is time to go in...led by the big guy and then the hens and then the Silkie...The big fella also crows like mad anytime anyone is in the yard that isn't one of us...and he likes to come to the living room window and kick up a fuss at least once a day til I go out and give him some scratch...He didn't used to be very roostery at all before we got the Silkie roo. He would just walk around and do nothing really...he only crowed once a day at around 7. I heard him up there crowing at 4 in the morning a couple of days ago...He is just a funny guy and I am fond of him and all his eccentricities and wanted to share...

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    My rooster "Mickey" a white silkie, crows everytime I go out the door. He thinks hes being tough. everytime I walked away from the pen he will try to attack me from behind. ( never touch me) but he will walk away when I turned around! He would act like " it wasnt me !"

3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I think my big silly rooster might be plotting against me..sometimes when I am up there he gives me this malicious stare, and I just know that one day he is going to come at me...He is a really big rooster with these big gnarly 3-4 in spurs...I mean really large...probably 2.5 to 3 feet or so...I just catch him glaring at me sometimes...but so far neither rooster has shown me any aggression per se...the big guy might just be staring me down to see if I am hiding anymore bits of deliciousness for him...he has been known to reach into my pockets when I am otherwise distracted by something else...Lol.

4. aleebama

aleebama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Sounds like it could be either. If he is friendly enough to pick pocket you he might be, like you said, watching for goodies. Either way, I would keep my eye on him. Does he let you handle him?

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    He'll eat out of my hand and walk right along beside of me brushing up against me, but if I reach out to pet him he hops away...so he is kind of friendly...I mean he is friendly, but he does not like pettings...if I pick him up he is pretty chill with it, but he weighs a ton...he is a very solid rooster.

6. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    The guy we got him from suited up with these huge thick work gloves to go catch the chickens we were buying from him and my husband was like, "we need to get you some big gloves, this looks serious." I have since forgotten about the gloves, none of the 12 chickens seem to mean me any harm...
    He will somewhat aggressively eye me for food, perhaps hand feeding him was a mistake, because now he always stares hungry like at my hands...

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You really have me curious about what breed this three-foot tall rooster is.

He sort of sounds like my Penrod, a two-and-a-half year old Buff Brahma. He's pretty silly and worthless, too. Just yesterday, he was mating a hen beside me as I was scooping poop in the run, and he fell off the hen over her head and onto his head, landing right in the poop tub.

He's very tame, though, and loves to climb into my lap for close snuggling. He's a big lap-full of twelve pound roo.

8. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have a worthless roo too! He is a RIR. My alpha roo died standing up to a fox that was trying to get the hens. This roo does nothing except taking advantage of those poor girls as much as he possibly can! No warnings, no found food chirps, nothing. In fact, he was so interested on having his way with one of the hens, he drove her right in front of my car when I was driving! I just about hit him on his way past. Typical male, I guess. I have to be really careful when the kids are out. I wouldn't trust him not to be an idiot and attack the kids. I would like a better rooster. I wonder if he will ever learn or if he will just stay content eating all of the food and breeding!

9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Same thing with mine...if he finds food he eats it...he also doesn't alarm if he sees anything going on...he just runs back in the coop, and the hens usually follow, but we have a silkie rooster that warns if anything is happening, and he also will let the hens know if he finds anything...the big fella just eats right along side of the hens though...It's funny because he is the alpha rooster, but he doesn't fulfill any of the Alpha roles, except maybe breeding...If I wasn't getting fertilized eggs I wouldn't know he is even breeding the hens...I never hear any sort of ruckus, and none of the hens get injured...So he must be pretty gentle. I like him as a pet, but he isn't a very good rooster...He does flap his wings at the dog, but that is about it... When we first got the Silkie rooster the big rooster flew at him spurs out and what not...It helped him a lot to have an under rooster. It made him more roostery for sure...but he is still not quite what I think a rooster should be...but he looks big and scary so that is enough for the time being I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by