I have a stupid question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnmayersquare, Dec 3, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    How do you add more water to the incubator during the last three of the hatch if you can't open the bator up???

2. [​IMG] A sryinge?
    Honestly I don't know. But I wanted to pop in and tell you that there are no such things as stupid question.
    Only stupid answers, which I may have just given you!

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I take the vent plug out and use a syringe and straw.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You can take a straw fill it with water (like a kid drinking soda, put straw in a cup of water and hold the top) Then place that inside one of the vent holes and aim for the water holder !!

Or

You can wet a clean sponge/sock open the bator QUICK and put it in there.

What day are you on now ?? Whats you hum at ??

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Everybody stresses so much over this.....I open my bator VERY frequently. I just add very warm water before I close the bator up and this pops the humidity right back up easy......works great for me.

6. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I use a straw as well, with a small water cup with a small spout, works every time.

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I open mine an add warm water as well.
    ~Rebecca

8. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:Well..........that was what I was doing.......using a straw like that..............but I had two hatch on Monday morning that I took out because they were bumping into the heating element the entire time. I did it VERY quickly and the humidity was fine..........but none of the rest of them have hatched yet...........I put this batch into the bator on November 10th at 8pm ish and then but them into the hatcher on Friday night(11/28)......did I do it right??? I don't how long to wait before giving up on them ;(

Thanks so much for all the help!

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Yep, I agree! Just don't stick the straw in the bator and suck! [​IMG] lol

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have a small sponge laying in incubator right below a vent hole and when humidity goes to low I just very carefully pour a little water through vent hole onto the sponge and then the humidity comes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by