I have a ton of questions about button quail... Any answers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Scooter&Suzie, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a bunch of questions that I can't find good answers to. I'm just wondering about basic things... how much space do they need, what do I feed them, do they need any special place to nest, and about every other thing that is need to be known about button quail. I cannot find much on the internet, so just feel free to tell me what you know! I would like to get some for pets. Anywhere from 2-5. I do know they don't like being held, and are more like fish, as you can just watch them. I am fine with that.

So here is what I know-or think I know.
    1. Females will lay a lot of eggs, but most females won't hatch them.
    2. Females need a place to hide from the males when they nest.
    3. Females lay a lot of calcium rich eggs, so they need plenty of calcium in their diet so they don't use the calcium in their bones to lay eggs.
    4. When startled they will fly straight up, ready to bump into a ceiling fan, or the roof of their cage.
    5. They do not like being held.

Feel free to correct me on anything I got wrong! If I knew I wouldn't be asking!

EDIT: Also, I have a Silkie hen. In the spring could she hatch some Button Quail eggs, or are they too small?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    You've come to the right place! Unfortnately, I'm not the right person [​IMG] , but there are several folks here who keep/breed buttons who will be able to give you complete and accurate answers. Have you checked out the stickies at the top of the thread? Also - do a search for button quail here and you'll get tons to read until your answers are posted. [​IMG]

5) I can confirm that they are not reccommended as pets to handle and that it can even be detrimental.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    The stikies at the top of the page are a good place to start.

Buttons are best kept in pairs, so 2-5 probably wouldn't work out.

Some people keep them in 10gal. fish tanks. and they can do O.K. in a space about 12" x 12". Keeping them on wire is not good for the feet.

Yes, they are skittish and you shouldn't handle them much, but beautiful, and fun to watch.

They eat Game Bird Starter.

Treats of finch seeds and greens, and mealworms are loved. Crushed oyster shell should be provided too.

The female should be provided someplace kinda private to lay eggs and get away from the male.

Eggs are not much bigger than a peanut M & M and I doubt a silkie could hatch them. The babies are TINY and fast too!

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quailladyoffortmeyers would be your best asset for button rearing.She raises many buttons any many different types. I raise buttons myself,however,I don't pair them like a lot of people do.I have a 3x5 brooder with wire top and bottom and wood sides that I put them in once they were feathered out until they grew big enough for me to seperate the males.Once the females started laying,I saw I wasn't having any issues with their housing or environment so I just left them be.There was 16 with about 7 males.I added some enclosed nests and covered nests for the females.They are fed gamebird starter with a finch mix added.I have a small wooden box with some sand and sevin dust for them to dust in.I've had no problem with that particular hatching of buttons with being so wild and startled.I keep them outside where they are around everything.They have heat in the cold weather. I can open the top and feed water and clean with them just running around the bootm with no flying or freaking out.I even have them eat seeds out of my hand. My other pen however is total opposites. MAybe it's because theres is a lot more of them or was quite a lot more raised up at one time or what,but those are quite a bit more wild.They will still flock around my hand for seeds,but they have on occasion hit the top of the pen (which is only 12" high so not real bad).And they tend to be a lil meaner.Actually have some will peck me.

5. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    So here is what I know-or think I know.
    1. Females will lay a lot of eggs, but most females won't hatch them. I've never had a female hatch any.
    2. Females need a place to hide from the males when they nest. I've not noticed this to be true.
    3. Females lay a lot of calcium rich eggs, so they need plenty of calcium in their diet so they don't use the calcium in their bones to lay eggs. I believe this is true of any egg-laying birds. The more eggs they lay w/o a rest, the more calcium they'll need. You can give them calcium-rich leafy greens to eat too.
    4. When startled they will fly straight up, ready to bump into a ceiling fan, or the roof of their cage. They are the true head bangers of the avian world. As for jumping high enough to hit a ceiling fan, they don't jump that high. Maybe 2-3 feet.
    5. They do not like being held. I've never had one that liked it, however, I've never tried to fully tame them. I have seen pics of ppl who have tamed theirs so it's possible.

EDIT: Also, I have a Silkie hen. In the spring could she hatch some Button Quail eggs, or are they too small? Now that would be cool. I hope it works and you post pics.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    So... For two of them they only need a 11'' by 11'' cage? I'm sorry but that sound very small. Is that without a run, or something? I was planing on housing mine inside, since it is easily below 50 F in fall, winter, and maybe early spring. Would, let's say, a little over 4 sq. feet work for two?

So for keeping them I can only keep two in one cage, and one must be male, the other female? Or can I keep a couple females, without a male? Since they will be inside I would like to keep the sound down as much as possible. I would really love to have four females... Is that at all possible? If so how much room would they need?

EDIT: Could I get 3 or 4 females with just one male? Doesn't sound like it, just checking. I am NOT looking to breed these. I just want 'em as pets.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Scooter&Suzie :

So... For two of them they only need a 11'' by 11'' cage? I'm sorry but that sound very small. Is that without a run, or something? I was planing on housing mine inside, since it is easily below 50 F in fall, winter, and maybe early spring. Would, let's say, a little over 4 sq. feet work for two?

So for keeping them I can only keep two in one cage, and one must be male, the other female? Or can I keep a couple females, without a male? Since they will be inside I would like to keep the sound down as much as possible. I would really love to have four females... Is that at all possible? If so how much room would they need?

EDIT: Could I get 3 or 4 females with just one male? Doesn't sound like it, just checking. I am NOT looking to breed these. I just want 'em as pets.

I always like to get the biggest cage I can afford.

When I was breeding them, I kept mine in an 8 x 10 room and I had around 8 or 10 males with about 30 females.

Four females would be great kept together....and adding a male would not be a problem.

As for noise, they're really quiet little birds.​

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I always like to get the biggest cage I can afford.

When I was breeding them, I kept mine in an 8 x 10 room and I had around 8 or 10 males with about 30 females.

Four females would be great kept together....and adding a male would not be a problem.

As for noise, they're really quiet little birds.

Button quail are monagamous and should be kept in pairs. They are not colony birds at all. So no 3 to 4 females to a male. 1 female to 1 male. I house my birds in cages designed by brackenridge ranch. They do not not need much space for a pair. They do great in a small home and do great in aviary settings as well. If you want four females you need four males to pair each female up.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by