I Have a Very Frustrated New Layer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iwiw60, Aug 21, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Okay, as many of you know I have a small flock of 4 Black Australorp ladies, and one began laying almost 2 weeks ago. Well, yesterday afternoon when I got home from work I went out to the coop to scoop up my one egg and as I was turning around to exit...there it was...another egg!

So! Guess where it was? In the PDZ sand poop tray and it was cracked from the fall. Apparently a second gal laid it during the night while up on the roost. So okay I'm still excited even though it was a total loss...cleaned it and the tray up from the previous nights poop and off I go.

So! Today I get home from work and I go out to the coop anticipating that maybe, just maybe, there might be 2 eggs in the coop! Wrong! Just the one which I recognize as coming from my first layer...nothing else. I looked around everywhere just in case...nope!

Now it's about an hour or so later and I'm sitting here at the computer (where else..it's either the 'puter or the coop!) and I have a webcam in the coop, monitor is right here. I start to hear faint bwoking and I glance over and there's the second hen, great I think!

But what she's doing is coming into the coop, going up the ladder to the roost bwoking her fool head off and flies down and out the coop she goes. Back in the coop, same story, flies down and out. Could it be that she's thinking "oh, I need to lay up in the roost tray" and she's just confused and frustrated....I KNOW I AM!! Oops, there she goes again!

Anyone??? [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    UPDATE! So she just did the egg song....wheee! And guess where it was? Yep, in the poop tray...what the heck??? [​IMG]

3. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    sometimes they need to know where to lay eggs.... I've heard this can help them.... I'm still waiting for the first egg sooooooooooo, I'm not the best source.... I chose a community nest box for now, that can be divided later if need be....

[​IMG]

4. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So what you're saying is that maybe when I see/hear her in the coop doing all her frustrated bwoking (looking around..where do I lay this thing?!) I should gently pick her up and place her in one of the nest boxes???

5. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I think he's saying put some fake eggs in the nest boxes and make sure she's seen them in there. Ever since my girls started showing signs, I had a golf ball in each box.

We've had a couple "whoops" eggs at night, but they're reliably in the boxes since then..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Been there done that. I have a golf ball in both. My first layer is doing great...hopes right on in to Box #1 and does her thing. This new layer? Not so much...it's going to be hit-n-miss with her I'm afraid!! [​IMG]

7. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Well darn, I dunno then.

8. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yep, I just heard the egg song, went out there willing to even settle with her egg on the floor of the coop somewhere...NOPE! There it was...IN THE POOP TRAY!

9. DaveOmak

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  10. DaveOmak

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop