I have a whole new respect for those above .........................

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rocky Top Chick, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    the Mason/Dixon line. I am in NC and we had 10 inches of snow before Christmas and it is still around my coop and in the run. I can honestly say that I hate going out in the am and taking care of the chickens before I go to work in the freezing cold. However, the chickens love it because I feed them something warm every morning and they are giving me more eggs. This weather is unusually early this year as I have noted the same across the country. (so much for global warming) Anyway, I just have to give a GREAT BIG THANKS for the farmers in the country who deal with severe weather all throughout the year. We would all be in a lot of trouble if you guys did not love what you do. From the bottom of my heart, I respect you all greatly.

Thanks for being there !

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

I couldnt imagine working hard my whole life JUST to pay the bills and support the family...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Amen. We also need to say a big thank you to the truckers in this country. Without them, we midwesterners would be in a world of hurt. We have no idea how much of a trickle down effect just losing one force in this country is going to do to us. I worry about the rail system and the truckers!!

4. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i can't imagine living downsouth, i need my snow and ice... and i'd go nuts w/o seasonal change

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

We get seasonal change... it's just that it happens every five minutes instead of every five months.

What kind of chickies do you have that are such wonderful layers in that muck???

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Moved to VA from NY.... love it!!! All of the seasons and hardly any of the snow and even better... no in-laws... [​IMG]

And a double [​IMG] for the OP's comments!!

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I like the change of season too. January 2nd will be this Sunday so I've had winter for Christmas and New Years so spring can start any day after the 1st. ;-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I'm voting for Spring to start! We live in the valley below Lake Tahoe and have had an early, wintery blast already this year. I think we have done enough shoveling and snowblowing for the year! It's unusual for us to have cold, gray days for weeks on end (sometimes in Feb, but not all the time). This year the snow hasn't melted, the sun doesn't come out, and it is cold and damp. Chicken ranching isn't quite so much fun in the weather! On the other hand it has given us more time to plan our flock purchases for March and April. New chicks...can't wait for Spring!

9. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    I wouldn't say it's always fun, but it's our way of life. Going out and doing chores can warm you right up. Besides, you can't deny how beautiful it is with the full moon hitting the snow......

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree. Going out to do chores isn't always the most fun thing to do on a bitterly cold morning, but the cows sure are happy to see us. They get hungry whether it's hot or cold. What's even colder than a cold morning is 2am when you have to go out to check cows that are due to calve......that will wake you up in a hurry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by