i have a worming question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by traybo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG] I just wormed my flock with Wazine.. Do I have to wait the 10 days before I can worm with the ivermectin pour on? OR can I go ahead and worm with the Ivermectin now? Will it hurt them if I did? Im ready to eat my eggs... if I wait to worm agian in 10 days I'll have to waith 14 more days before I can eat them ,, thats along time. although I do no ppl that eat rite after worming with Ivermectin..

2. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Curious about this too. I was told when I got my chicks that I could use DE and that would take care of any worms. I use it on their litter, in their food and occasionally on them. I haven't noticed any worms in their poo so hopefully it is working.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, you do have to wait after the Wazine. I think its 14 days for the Wazine and 10 for the ivermectin, if I remember right.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Wait 10 days, then use the ivermectin. Then wait 14 days before you can eat the eggs. ETA: Here's a link that you can go to; to read scientific studies regarding withdrawal time for ivermectin. Go to post #38 and read the third sentence, including the link to the studies: (The link to the study isnt working. If you decide to eat the eggs before the withdrawal time and you have a sensitivity to ivermectin, you consume the eggs at your own risk.)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172967&p=4

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:DE isnt a wormer because it's wet inside the chickens innards. DE isnt effective when wet until it dries.

6. traybo

May 25, 2011
    i used DE and still found that my hens had worms , not to say that it dont work , mine may have been very infested and needed somthing alot stronger.. i still use it my self but when/if you suspect they are heavily infested i would use something that is desingned to kill the worms.. Wazine or the Ivermection pour on... that way you no for sure your treating te problem...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You would be better off using valbazen and/or safeguard. Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get. Safeguard is an excellent wormer as well except it wont kill tapeworms. Also, it's not recommended for use during a molt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. traybo

May 25, 2011
    so is the ivermectin not good to use ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by