i have a wyandotte that has externally pipped on day 18

alicedaveney

Chirping
Jan 26, 2022
my wyandotte egg that i currently have in the incubator has pipped but it’s only day 18. is it going to be any smaller than usual because it’s hatching early?

Are you sure it's day 18? Are you sure it's actually pipped, not accidentally cracked?
yep it’s day 18. i keep track on a notepad and my incubator also keeps track. here’s a photo of it. you can see the bits of shell around it as well so i’m pretty sure it’s pipped and started to hatch a little bit.

Attachments

• 32E93BC7-3183-4B21-97EC-2DB62B627E64.jpeg
    32E93BC7-3183-4B21-97EC-2DB62B627E64.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 7
yep it’s day 18. i keep track on a notepad and my incubator also keeps track. here’s a photo of it. you can see the bits of shell around it as well so i’m pretty sure it’s pipped and started to hatch a little bit.
Being its pipped the wrong end it may not even be able to hatch or might take a few days

yeah i thought that as well when i first saw it. hopefully it does make it!
Because this one did not pip into the air cell, it is a day earlier than it would have internally pipped. Basically it skipped that stage, but still needs time to absorb the blood vessels. It may have trouble hatching as it is malpositioned. Be prepared to assist. I just had one like this hatch yesterday. It needed a little help to get out, but it unzipped on it's own.

Here is an article that may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Good luck!🙂

Because this one did not pip into the air cell, it is a day earlier than it would have internally pipped. Basically it skipped that stage, but still needs time to absorb the blood vessels. It may have trouble hatching as it is malpositioned. Be prepared to assist. I just had one like this hatch yesterday. It needed a little help to get out, but it unzipped on it's own.

Here is an article that may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Good luck!🙂
thank you for the advice! hopefully it can make it out on its own.

Back
Top Bottom