I have a yard full of Juvenile Delinquents!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alys, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Alys

Alys Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Orlando, Florida
    My three girls are running amok! A 20 wk old BR and 2 16 wk old sex links, they find at least one new way to cause trouble every day. So far they've discovered that they can jump up to sit on the fence, decided that inside my house is worth braving the German Shepherd Dog at the threshold and/or my my husband, they chase squirrels, robins, doves and blue jays and are determined to follow me everywhere. Today they learned to climb the maple tree, flapping madly as they clawed their way to a crook 6' off the ground (I think they're trying to chase the birds on the feeder).

Do they outgrow behaviors like this? Do I need to pack them full of fatty foods so they're too danged fat to get off the ground?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It won't be long before they are too heavy for that sort of shenanigans. So long as they don't get hurt, letting them be would be in order.

Chris

4. Alys

Alys Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Orlando, Florida
    LOL,
    they sure are having fun.
    I neglected to say that I have trimmed their flight feathers, but I trimmed equally on both wings. I've had experience with birds getting hurt if they are panicked with only 1 wing trimmed and every now and then my dog feels like playing "scatter the chickens!"

You'd think that half an acre of trees, gardens, mulch, compost pile and bugs here in Central Florida would be enough to entertain 3 pullets![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by