I have admitted defeat *nest/egg pics added*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gritsar, Jun 6, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've been trying to stop a pair of small finches from building a nest in my coop (on the door no less) for about a month now. I have torn down at least 8 nests, but they rebuild it. Now they have added eggs to the nest - a new one each night - and I don't have the heart to throw their nest out again.
    I sprayed the nest down with poultry protector for mites, before the eggs and it didn't seem to bother the birds, cuz they've added more eggs.
    I don't know what more I can do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    We need pics!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rte.66_chicks :

We need pics!

Okay, pics after I get back from town. It's kinda funny, they built a nest but the bottom of the nest is not cushioned; it's the hard wood of the door. I even thought about putting something on the bottom of the nest to cushion it for them. [​IMG]
    Three eggs now and I have no idea when they are adding them. I have always thought that most birds did not fly around at night, but that seems to be the only time they can be adding eggs.​

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Oh boy, Pics!!! I would say, leave it there....

5. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Aww... looks like you have a new flock of babies. LOL I would not be able to tear it down either. [​IMG]

6. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Awwww I'm sorry. But hey, at least you will have two types of flocks! lol

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would have no issues removing the nest with the eggs and I'd keep doing it if they rebuilt too. It's entirely possible the finches carry parasites etc...(been there, done that) and I wouldnt want that headache again! Specifically tapeworms and fowl pox, and not to mention lice/mites.

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Well, sounds like they've got you cornered on their side now. I'd love to see pictures. I'd just keep treating the nest site for mites so you don't get those passed on to your poultry.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well I saw mama (daddy?) for the first time this evening, but he or she flew by me so fast I wasn't able to make an identification. Finch? Small sparrow? I'm not sure.
    There's nothing in these pics to use as reference on the eggs size, but they are about the size of a shelled almond; pink with brown speckles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still spraying the area around the nest daily with the poultry protector spray. I haven't sprayed the nest directly since they put eggs in it.

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

They look like wren eggs. That would be in keeping with the small size of the bird, as well as the location. At least wrens eat bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by