I have an epileptic chicken!--(?) Video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickNjake, Feb 17, 2009.

1. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Well, I do believe my chicken has epilepsy [​IMG]
    I didn't even know prior to today that chickens could even have epilepsy... but mine does. [​IMG]

I have had my EE, Muffy, for about a year and she was about laying age when we got her, so about a year and a half old. [​IMG]
    in the past month I've gone into the coop a few times to find Muffy on the ground and she would proceed to have a seizure. So I would take her to the basement and kept her in a controlled environment(temp, light, etc.) for the night. I wasn't sure of the cause of these attacks, but today she was in the middle of the run flailing around in the dark and I decided it was "time." for what? I wasn't sure. so I just watced her for about an hour, and lo and behold, nothing happened. So, giving up, I turned out the lights and heard "flap, flap, flap" so I turned the lights on and moved her head forward which, amazingly, stopped the attack! So I had a lead, and I went and got my video camera so I could put a video on here

I am aware that this is not, in any way, good for the bird, and probably hurts her a lot. I did not do this for enjoyment, but to have something to get a better diagnosis and learn to help her!

So i took the video and shined a flashlight in her eye and let her continue only long enough as necessary. (some may find this graphic)
    PS: that is food on the newspaper, not poop.
    [​IMG]
    I'll try to make the video better quality (not take a new video tomorrow. I'm going to bed in a few minutes)
    Freaky, huh? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sure looks like epilepsy- and she seems alright after her seizure is over? Surely someone here has seen this beforeĀ…

3. chickNjake

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    she is a little dazed afterward for a bit, but after an hour she is completely normal. [​IMG]

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have never seen anything like that at all, it looks like it hurts. hope you can fix her soon

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    I wasn't able to see the whole seizure..

could she have gotten into any thing bad? (kitchen scraps gone bad, moldy feed, stagnant water with algae..moldy hay/straw..etc..)

have a read..might help..
    suggestion of human liquid vitamins in link..you can use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil rand, no iron..3 drops once a day on beak..taper off for another week.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

6. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    Hmmm, first things that come to mind are 1) lead or other consumed toxin 2) something like a yolk embolism can cause a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), with subsequent seizures.

Fayoumi's have an autosomal recessive gene mutation that cause a reflex epilepsy with photogenic and/or sound triggers--which looks an awful lot like this. Especially if you can reliably trigger seizures.

I would say it's fascinating, but it's not so much for your chicken [​IMG]
    Do you have any chicks from her?

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Rescue Remedy at a high dose will keep her in a relaxed state, that may help. If not, there are probably other herbs out there that will help. I'll try to find something tomorrow. She may have suffered a head injury, in which case Hypericum may help with nerve damage or function. The best thing you can do for her is restrain her with a towel and place her in a dark, warm room the next time she has a seizure.

Edit: forgot to mention... I had a bird with a similar condition. He made a complete recovery with Hypericum; however, he required treatment twice daily.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  9. chickNjake

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Quote:what is yolk embolism? I found one site that said something like a stuck/broken egg, but I'm not sure. She's been laying consistently even one yesterday.

yes, we've had a few chicks from her, only kept one here he is--[​IMG]
    he hasn't ever had any problems [​IMG] I guess I should stop hatching her eggs (?) would they be alright to eat?

thank you SOOOOO much all who've posted replys!!

10. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    Avian Encephalomyelitis affects chicks <4 weeks old with a head and neck tremor. Disease in older birds is typically limited to reduction in egg production and hatchlings with encephalomyelitis signs.

Egg yolk embolism occurs in birds who eat a primarily seed diet and have lipemia (fat) in the blood. These fat globules can cause a stroke if lodged in the central nervous system.

Birds can also get fatty liver disease where their liver doesn't process toxins correctly and they have neuro signs--these are not typically limited to seizures and often follow a progressive course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by