I have an idea and would like your opinions.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Ok, we are building a 4 x 8 coop outside right now that will be in a fenced in run area for my chickens.
    I have five in a baby tractor right now that are 5 and 7 weeks old. These are Arucauna/rhode island red mutts. [​IMG] None the less very cute and I think two are females.
    They will probably have this coop by this weekend.
    Then I have silkies coming next week.
    They will be up in my bird room, where my green cheek conures are and in this aviary that I have.

Ok, here is my next idea. Stay with me. lol.

The aviary is 2 x 4 x 6 feet tall.
    I have this little chicken coop that has never been used for chickens, but I bought it used. It is just never been actually used yet. I was going to use it outside but my husband decided that they will have plenty of space in the one he is making and we don't need it outside.
    Ok pictures of these two items below. The aviary is empty now.

What I want to do is put the coop beside the aviary. There is a side door on the aviary that I am going to take out. There is an open end on the coop that will open up into the aviary.
    Then I am going to put a second floor in the aviary. It will be like furniture inside the aviary. The floor will have a square hole in the middle with a ramp going up to it and some edging on it. This will give them more play room besides just the coop and the 2 x 4 floor.
    Then I am going to put some roosting areas up on the floor.
    THere will be lighting on both levels.
    Ok all this is going to be for one or two female silkies and one male.
    I cannot keep roosters outside in my urban neighborhood, but I can keep them inside. They will be able to get outside run time when I take them out, but for the most part, they will live in this indoor condo. They will be able to brood eggs and chicks for me inside the condo.
    The outside area will be for everyone else. It will be plenty spacious for up to ten chicks.
    I do know people who have house chicks, but these guys probably won't be running the house, although you never know, lol. I know how to make bird diapers, as I have made them for conures before.
    Oh if you want to see my conures, go to http://www.feathersnsong.com
    Feedback please. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I just want to address the conures chicken thing do not put your chicks or chicken in with you conures you can pass on disease that will kill your exotics. I change my shoes before entering my parrot aviary. plus if you chicks get loos the conures will kill them most likely. friendly advise.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Would they have disease if they are kept indoors and started out on medicated feed?
    There would not be any getting loose and the conures are up way too high for them to get to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by