I have an idea...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ClevelandAg31, May 5, 2009.

1. ClevelandAg31

ClevelandAg31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Forsyth County
    I live in Forsyth County, Georgia. I was one of the first ones in my school to get really into raising chickens. I have done it for about two years now. What do ya'll think about me trying to open a business.....small scale poultry hatchery?

[​IMG]

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    People do that all the time and sell the chicks off at local events.

We've got something coming up called "Trade days" where people come and sell their wares. Wife just called me a little bit ago asking if I wanted ducks, or more chickens.

Apparently one of the custodians wives at school raises them and sells them at this event.

I asked her to check and see what breeds they were before I decided... [​IMG]

At any rate, so long as you have a market for them, or a place to pawn them at, it's certainly feasible.

3. ClevelandAg31

Mar 26, 2009
    Forsyth County
    Thanks man..

What do you think i need?

4. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Well, you'll need a broody hen to hatch some eggs... Else you'll need an incubator to, well, to incubate the eggs.

The fancy shmancy ones automatically turn the eggs, but if you're good at keeping on schedule you can do that.

I'm sure those more in the know will chime in with more information. I'm not that far into all this yet and just have all the information that remains absorbed in my skull from the intarweb. [​IMG]

Speaking of the 'net, you might find this link enlightening.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKIncubation.html

Seems if you're really crafty, you can make one of them fancy automated ones.. Very cool.

5. ClevelandAg31

Mar 26, 2009
    Forsyth County
    I wish some others would reply!

6. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    You would also have to make a brooder if you hatch your chicks in an incubator. They have to stay warm and dry for the first few weeks. I personally prefer to allow mother nature to do all that and use a broody hen. It would be hard to use broodys on a large scale though. Also you would need to research the different breeds to find which one(s) might sell best. I am not an expert by any means but maybe this is helpful. Keep us posted on what you decide. Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    They used to have something called "Junior Achievement" that could help you manage a business. Might still be around, OR, something like that.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:that might be a mid-western thing, its still around here

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:the preson who run Purely Poultry did just what your asking about, and he on this web site, he's very easy to talk to and I think he would help get you started or at least point you in the right direction. he's purelypoultry on here.

10. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    http://www.ja.org/near/near_map.asp

Here's
    info on Purely Poultry. He doesn't do quite what you're wanting. Instead, he's a broker or middle man. Basically he takes orders and works with several hatcheries to provide chicks directly. Alot of places work this way. The plus side of that is no overhead on handling/hatching chicks. But, that'd be a down side for you as well since you're wanting that experience.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2050454

Far as suggestions re: running a business, I'm sure he'd be a great person to contact for tips and tricks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by