I Have An Opportunity To Buy 20....

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Patchesnposies, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    ....20 week old RIR pullets for $7.50 a piece. I am wondering if this is a good price for birds that are on the point of laying. I am sure they are probably production reds from Privett or Ideal.

Our local feedstore got them in special order for someone else and those people aren't able to buy them now.

Is this a fair price?

I'd appreciate input from those in-the-know. I have never bought birds at this age.

I have seen laying hens for sale on craigslist in our area going for $10.00 a bird.

Thanks All!

Deb

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yes, I would say that is fair, especially if you know for certain they are at 20 weeks, that they are for certain hens.
    I have paid up to about $13 for Buff Orpington hens that were like 15 weeks +/- I would be comfortable with that price, yes.
    Good Luck
    Christina

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds fair; I paid $9 for Golden Comets that were POL and $7 for some that were about 5 mos. older than the first two. This was at a trade day / flea market type deal near here. He charged more for the younger ones b/c they had NOT started laying yet, where the older 2 had been laying a few months and would probably not keep laying as long as the 2 younger ones. The 2 younger ones are laying now, and they're among the nicest hens out of my whole crowd.

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I can get $15.00 for pullets that are point of lay. So I think you are getting a very good price! [​IMG]

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

point of lay birds go for about 8 bucks at the local auction, so yeah, I'd say it is reasonable.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by