i have an opportunity to get a young peacock, i need info

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
I have a small flock of standard hens, would they be ok with a peacock? What sort of housing does a peacock require? Do they fly away or leave fenced in yards? Would a male be lonely without a female?
Anything else I should consider?
Thanks

I have a 1 year old peacock in with my Bantams and they get along great right now. It might be a different story when he's old enough to mate. I have rasied my Grandson Rhode Islands Red's, I let them out with my Bantams last week, one of them tried to jump on the Bantams and I thought the peacock was going to kill it. I guess he was defending his friends. Yes he will leave if he's tame yet. I have had this one about 2 months and still will not let him out free range yet. From what I understand they do need a mate when they are old enought to mate or they will go look for one. They guy I brought mine from gave me most of this info.

Our peas share pens with chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese. The pea's rule the roost.

Once peafowl call your place home they will stick around. When you first bring them home they need to be in an enclosed area. They have strong legs and can jump a fence easy without even using wings. People have brought them home and turned them loose and that is the last they see of them.

Ours roost outside year round, the only time we force them to go in is during major storms.

Pea's are kind of independent, ours roost together but they kind of go their own way during the day. The hens stick together but the cock is usually by himself unless it's mating season.

Steve in NC

Well, I found a lot of info from this site:
big_smile.png

www.leggspeafowl.com/

We just adopted a pair of year old India Blues. WE LOVE them.
Ours are cooped and have an aviary of their own. ALL enclosed, but very large space. (Our ducks & chickens are separate.)
smile.png
We love to spoil our feathered friends.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom