I have an upcoming escape artist!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeach717, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Feeding the chickies some treats this morning by reaching over the cardboard barrier in the 42" crate like normal. Sara (my biggest and still unknown breed/sexed chick) comes up as usual and starts looking right at me. I talk to her as usual like she can understand my every word (they can can't they?) and then it happened! She flew up to the top of the barrier right next to me, but the wobble of the cardboard cut her visit short and she fluttered back down again! EEK!

Now every time I hear a scritch or a scratch at the card board I am waiting to see if she is going to join me on the couch!

Oh boy! Time for another level of barrier!

[​IMG]

2. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    Time to put a top on the brooder!!!:D

Mine started doing that just after our first venture outside. Guess they saw there was more outside of the brooder and wanted to go - always. They even tried climbing up my arm!! :lol:

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    LOL it has a top, but the slats are still a bit too big and they can get through them!

[​IMG]

my golden polish likes to climb up my arm, but then just hangs out there, lol!

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Trust me, I've had PLENTY of them. Last year, I got two chicks (one blue laced red wyandotte and one red star), and even though I had a top on the cage, my BLRW got out EVERY morning. Then, when they were moved outside, she again found a way out. I moved to a different house, and she, for the third time, found a way out. Then before we moved I had a duck that got out every morning, but that time i found out where she was getting out, although it didn't matter what I did to cover up the whole, she still got out. Now, my Red Star gets out every morning by flying to the top of their cage (it is at least 10 ft tall). Soon, I plan on making an escape proof chicken coop :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by