I have another broody :( anyone want to broody hatch with me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sheila3935, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The other day I noticed one of my BR's was acting like she was broody but wasnt setting on a nest. She would fluff up scream at me if I got near and cluck, but she didnt get on a nest. I was worried she might be coming down with something so I checked her all over for pests and started watching her more closely. Well yesterday when I came home from work on my lunch she was in the nest. Last night when I got home from work, DD had to put them up last night, I asked her was she still on the nest. She said yes and she screamed at me. So I guess I have broody number 4 for this year. I hope she does better than my D'Anvers did. They hatched theirs last Sunday and killed 2 of their babies so I have the remaining 3 in the house. I thought about putting the babies under her but with the bad start they had I am afraid to try beside I hope she has some of the NN's eggs under her. I might try today to watch for them to lay and put a couple of them under her. So if you all have broodies come hatch with me. Mine are due out July 30th.

2. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    I have a broody Partridge Rock setting on 8 cross breed eggs. She actually started setting on July 1st. This same hen went broody on me last September but this is the first time I'm actually letting a hen hatch eggs for me so I'm kinda nervous.

I plan on moving her a couple of days before lockdown into her own private spot so that I don't have to worry about the other chickens hurting the chicks. I don't know if I should just move a dog crate into the coop or completely move her to the shop.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a what I call the broody pen built in my grow out coop. DH built it out of wood and chicken wire so when she is close to hatch I will transfer her over there. In the mean time I will be marking her eggs so I dont get a ton of eggs developing at different times.

4. Chicken from the hood

Chicken from the hood Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    I have a broody too [​IMG] I got her 10 eggs from laying hens mine are due to hatch on the 28 [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Quote:I know, what is with all the hens laying in the box the broody is in! I have other nest boxes for them, but NOOOOO. They have to lay were the broody is.

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You do not HAVE to give in to their broody you know. [​IMG]

7. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I have 9 broodies right now! In 100+ degree heat it's not a good thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by