i have another crip chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicoletm24, Sep 7, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Well, for those that remember "Crip" from my last hatch...she died a few days after being born due to her leg problems. I have another! she only has one leg that is not right. so gets around, and is now 6 days old [​IMG] she looks like a flamingo most of the time, haha. I'll snap some shots today of her, and post them. I hope she makes it. [​IMG] she can eat and drink bc she can get around.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Nicole!

Poor little chick! Here's wishing you good luck. I've had two chicks with crooked feet. They didn't start out crooked though, but as they matured, the feet just got worse. I actually had to cull one because the poor guy had a heck of a time getting around, and he couldn't get up the ramp to the coop, and he couldn't roost at all. I decided that winter would absolutely be horrendous for him, so with great sadness, I culled my first chicken.

Now, my other rooster, also with crooked feet, but not nearly as bad, has just started limping last week. There is no injury, but I can tell it's probably from the crooked toes. I'm hoping he'll be OK, but it's so sad because he's a real lover. Very friendly. If you rub the back of his neck, he'll fall asleep in your arms.

Here's hoping your chick will be ok, even if the odds are against him. [​IMG]

3. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
  4. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i've tried....but when i try a splint, she cries bloody murder...i think the tendon is just too tight when I put it back in place. her tendon is slipped out. so her leg stays bent up. but i've tried and tried to keep it straight, but it keeps slipping out of place. and seems to cause her ALOT of pain when i force it straight. I'm letting nature take its course, if she makes it, she makes it...she seems to be doing just fine now.

I wonder if there is something genetic with one of my hens causing this??? since this is the 2nd time it's happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by