I have another question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheri, May 7, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    If I have 7 cockerels like some one suggested........what can I do? I know where I can buy adult hens, which is what I should have done in the first place. Can 7 roosters live together?

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I think the only way 7 roosters will work is if you have about 1 hundred hens to keep them busy and not kill each other. From what I hear roosters are very territorial and will fight for dominance.

I maybe wrong but that's what I've heard.

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:Get rid of them. Right now they may be manageable but if hens come into the picture watch out. 7 roosters will be fighting for dominace once hens come into the picture. I have heard some people keeping them together solely as bachelors but I am not sure on this. You have my deepest symapthies.

4. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well I have two adorable red ones that will come to me if I have chicken feed in my hands. Question is........how to get rid of them. I have two different breeds maybe I will keep one each. Thank God I didn't pay a lot for them.

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, you're options are:
    1) Re-homing them
    2) Sell them
    3) Trade back to the feed store
    4) Trade an individual for pullets (or whatever)
    5) Cull, and keep or give away the meat.
    6) Try keeping them, see what happens and decide then.

6. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. Just watch them and see if they turn out to be all roosters.

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If there is only one or two hens and seven roosters, they could seriously hurt the hens. I have a friend whose bachelor roosters ganged up on a hen and killed her by mating over and over. The skin was ripped off her head.

Hormones are sometimes not a pretty thing.

8. mommyp

mommyp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Vestal
    How many hens are you thinking about getting? I am no expert but we have about 20 hens and 8 roosters.There definitely is a pecking order but it works. We got specific breeds so my son could show for 4-h . Then there were the cute ones at the feed store that mommy had to have straight run of course. And the adorable silkie chicks again straight run.So we have more roos than we originally wanted but we love them too.The one rule we do have is NO mean roosters. We do every thing we can to re home them being honest about thier temperament and when all else fails they go in the freezer. I hope that does not offend. But that does keep every one happy including my dh. What breed did you say they were because our cochins are super sweet.

9. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I believe I have 3 Leghorns and 4 RIR. They look just like AccidentalFarms chicks. I plan on getting quite a few hens. I may just give away 5. I do have one favorite RIR and I will put something on it so I can tell it from the others. One Leghorn is getting a nice tail now. The one RIR was pecking my toes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by