I have babies! And some questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roxsam, Jun 9, 2011.

1. roxsam

roxsam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    I got 7 baby chicks on Monday from a local "farm" and they are oh so cute! They are probably about 5 days old now. I got 2 BR, 1 RIR, 2 BR/RIR crosses and 2 sex link chicks (are these BRs? I got them b/c she said they were for sure females!) All is going well so far, I just have a few questions!

*When can I give them treats to eat? When I give them treats do I always give them grit too? How do I give the grit..mix it with their starter food?

*I have pine shavings in their brooder to cover the floor and they keep scratching in it looking for food. They seem to want to eat like that instead of their feeder...can I sprinkle some food in the shavings? or put some paper in there and spread the feed over that?

*Is it too early to put a "roost" in there for them? They all keep hanging out on top of the feeder!

* They are still sooo jumpy and frightened of us! (I know it's only been 3 days, but still, no progress yet!)..we handle them several times a day, talk to them, pet them, hold them, and I let them eat feed from my hand. How long does it take for them to warm up to us? What else can I do to help them?

I know I had more questions but I can't remember them now...hopefully I will think of them [​IMG]

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. mszekely

mszekely Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    My chickies enjoyed mashed boiled eggs and also mashed bananas before they needed grit. Mostly anything else they will need some grit. You can put it in a small dish or sprinkle it on the floor for them.

It is ok to put some starter food on the floor for them to find.

A low roost made mine happy, actually pretty much anything made them happy!

Mine are over 5 weeks old, but none of them really like being held, although they all come runnng when they think there will be treats! Patience and treats fed by hand seem to help them get rid of their nervousness.

3. roxsam

Jun 2, 2011
    Ok, thanks! So they will find the grit on their own if I sprinkle it on the floor? And I guess they know when to eat it?

I will try the mashed banana for now, until I feel more educated on the grit! lol.

4. roxsam

Jun 2, 2011
    Well...they won't go anywhere near the banana LOL. And dh is cutting some wood for them to perch on.
    They will be so happy [​IMG]

I would post pics but I don't know how to!

5. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    Quote:give them treats anytime
    i put newspaper under my shavings, and they scratched down to that, and i put food on that. hey liked "foraging" for it
    i dont know about grit.
    i put roosts in before the chicks came and more in today, my chicks are 4 days old. they have used the short roosts a couple times, because they figured it out.
    yes, chicks are always jumpy and scared. mine too. treats will help.

6. mszekely

mszekely Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    Grit on the floor, in a dish, doesn't matter. The little ones will find it either way. [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    First, you need to post, answer 10X before you can post pics...when you do, go to the Index bar, the blue one, go to the right to "Uploads", click on that, then go to your photo folder on your computer, select the pic you want, after the upload is done, go to the "Img" bar, right click, select copy, go back to your post, right click again and select "paste", ta da....I usually hit preview to make sure it's the right shot too...then hit submit.

I give mine a treat, by just adding water to their starter...even at 9 weeks they love it! They also get grapes etc...have since they were a few weeks old.

A roost is great, or a log on the floor, they will love the entertainment and it will help keep them from getting bored.

They love to scratch, even when there is nothing there...it's so fun to watch them...wait till they start taking dust baths! They will scratch food onto the floor anyhow, so just throw some down for them.

I have 16 chicks, only about 5 will let me pet them, 3 will let me hold them, and one will actually fall asleep on my lap, they are all different...just spend time with them, talk to them a lot and don't scare them...eventually you may have some very friendly chicks...or not...hard to tell, they are all so different. NONE of my roos last year let me hold them, my pullets this year are so different.

post pics when you can, we love baby pics!

8. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    ---We used a plastic kiddie pool with 4 1/2' chicken wire sides as our "brooder". We put in several roosts through the wire, at varying heights. We just used bamboo rods at first. They hopped up & down all the time.
    ---We just put the chick grit in a separate bowl next to their food & they ate it when they wanted to.
    Yes, did put feed down for them to "forage" for.
    ---Ours LOVED grated apple, grated zucchini, spinach I cut up with scissors, baby cake, raw corn on cop, cooked sweet potatoes, cut up berries etc... I didn't consider those things "treats" as much as I did "enhancements" to their chick starter :).
    ---Ours became friendly when we stopped picking them up & left our hands in the cage, under somthing they were standing on to begin with, until they hopped on. Once they chose to hop on & had their feet on "solid ground" of our hand, they did it every time. Out of 12 we only had 2 who just stayed more skittish. All the others would hop on & hop up our arm to our shoulder etc.. The first couple times we had to rest our arm/hand in the brooder for probably 10 minutes before they would come up. I think they just don't like something swooping down on them snatching them up. If they are on a roost or a perch (or their waterer like some of ours :-D) you can just scootch their feet onto your hand by putting one hand under &one hand behind once they've started figuring out this is a safe way to do it. Ours would end up drawing into us & letting us pet them & fall asleep after we stopped trying to pick them up from above.

9. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    i have several roosts, and the birds jump up onto them lots now, and the 2 taller roosts have ramps up to them. ive had 1 fall asleep on my shoulder (it pooped there too) and 2 fall asleep in my hand. some are skittish, but treats should fix that.

10. roxsam

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks everybody! !
    Omg I can't believe how cute and FUNNY they are! They were so hyper when they woke up this morning...running around like nuts, trying out their half-feathered wings to fly and jump into each other! It's great free entertainment [​IMG] and last night they all were sleeping lined up in a perfect row facing the same direction. ..looked like a line of dead chicks! Lol

They're still scared of any treats I try to give them. I'll just keep trying!

I have their feed sprinkled out on the floor and they love it. I also feed them from my hand...they are too funny pushing each other out of the way to be the one standing on my hand. I also have a roost out for them and they're still investigating it.

I have one named! My rir is curious George(even though I'm hoping for a female) b/c she/he is always so interested in anything new and definitely the bravest of the bunch.

I guess I'll be able to put up pictures soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by