1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Have Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Jan 19, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Sorry everyone but i am so excited I think i might pop! [​IMG]
    After making the decision yesterday to rescue the 8 eggs my evil baby eating hen was sitting on and put them in my "sort'of'bator" that took 30 seconds to make without having a stable temperature or any idea of the humidity - I currently have 3 live chicks in there and one currently pipping! And my thermometre/hygrometre arrived today (few!) so now i can tell you that the temp is 100f and 53% humidity [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Some temp difference between the front and back and top and bottom of the bator, and I'm constantly adjusting it as the day heats up or cools by plugging the vents i made with cotton wool or opening them again. But so far it is working [​IMG]
    I am so over the moon, the little ones are very bright and lively, all came out very cleanly from their eggs and are bouncing around in a group like they are having a party. So adorable to watch!
    I will have to work out how to post photo's cos I just have to share this moment with those who can appreciate it [​IMG]
    I'm off now to get the brooder prepared!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

Oh, that's so very wonderful!! Can hardly wait for the pictures. [​IMG]

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Give me some of your popcorn gryeyes.. I'm out~

4. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am happy for you. Wish me luck mine are due on the 31st. They are in a home made bator that is not the best.

5. scoopy82

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Good luck txhomegrown - my bator was made in a mater of minutes and still requires surveylance but if I can do it then i reckon anyone can!!!
    Here is my 'sort'of'bator'!
    [​IMG]
    And my new chicks as promised!
    The first to hatch:
    [​IMG]
    The next two that hatched:
    [​IMG]

I must say I am amazed at how cleanly they came out of the eggs, there was hardly any mess and they are drying quite quickly.
    There is one pipping who I imagine wont be far from hatching. The other four eggs are due tomorrow but suspect they may go over by a day or two.

6. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Congrats! They are very clean and so pretty!

7. scoopy82

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks [​IMG]
    They are just mutts, 2 are Araucana's cross with either a Wyandotte or Spangled Hamburg Roo, then there will a Wyandotte either purebred or cross Spangled Hamburg, and Isa Browns cross with either Wyandotte or Spangled Hamburg. An interesting mix [​IMG]

8. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    So sweet [​IMG] I cannot wait to get back to incubating!

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Congratulations. They are adorable. [​IMG]

10. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Aw they are just gorgeous, shows what you can do if you put your mind to it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by