I have baby chickens in my living room

okiemamachick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Oklahoma
I've had baby chickens in my living room for more than 2 weeks. Cute as they are I now remember why I so desperately want buff orphingtons or silkies that will likely go broody and take care of chick's for me. The novelty has worn off lol of course I will still care for and love these little gals but as soon as it's warm enough they are going outta here!

I understand! It's quite an undertaking! The end result will be worth it but I'm definitely in the trenches with it right now! It's compounded by the fact both of my human children have had a stomach bug off and on for two weeks and my youngest was in the ER with severe unexplainable pains (growing pains that Tylenol with codeine won't even help apparently?) I'm just tired of taking care of everyone and tired of cleaning up bodily fluids! Lol

Oh, bless you. I've been there too. Not too long ago actually!

And, I just shot myself in the foot! I just placed an order for 23 more chicks and 4 ducklings :oops: :oops: :oops: My poor DH is going to have to build me another brooder :gig

Last edited:
Nice! I only have one incubator and this is my maiden hatch lol so I only put in 13 eggs but the eggs I CAN see in are doing well. I'm using white sgelled eggs as an aid because of the darker eggs that my Candler won't let me see in :/ I just hope the dark ones are doing as well as the white ones lol my brooder is an old huge rubber water trough for my LF and a big clear tote for the banties if the LF aren't outside by the time these hatch I may have to get a 3rd either that or maybe put them with the banties depending on how big they are by the 13th it may be a bad idea but the LF are starting to smell like adult chickens I literally completely cleaned the thing out yesterday like more than it even called for and they are still a bit smelly to me because their poops are getting so big I also want to do the hatchery surprise from cackle but now I'm double thinking on that!

Last edited:
Haha! You sound like me, chickens everywhere! I can't keep them in my house anymore though, I can't stand the dust and the smell. So, my husband built me a huge outdoor brooder quite a few years ago. Its not the prettiest thing in the world, but its functional (and it sees a TON of use).
I bought a Rayovac LED flashlight at Walmart, its super, super bright. It even has a high beam and low beam. I can see into the darkest eggs with that thing. I don't even have to take them out of the incubator to check them. I just leave them in the turner and shine the light into them. It was like $25, but worth every penny to me since I incubate a lot! Good luck with your hatch!!!

I understand! It's quite an undertaking! The end result will be worth it but I'm definitely in the trenches with it right now! It's compounded by the fact both of my human children have had a stomach bug off and on for two weeks and my youngest was in the ER with severe unexplainable pains (growing pains that Tylenol with codeine won't even help apparently?) I'm just tired of taking care of everyone and tired of cleaning up bodily fluids! Lol

Hope everyone's OK at your place!

Last edited:
Haha! You sound like me, chickens everywhere! I can't keep them in my house anymore though, I can't stand the dust and the smell. So, my husband built me a huge outdoor brooder quite a few years ago. Its not the prettiest thing in the world, but its functional (and it sees a TON of use).
I bought a Rayovac LED flashlight at Walmart, its super, super bright. It even has a high beam and low beam. I can see into the darkest eggs with that thing. I don't even have to take them out of the incubator to check them. I just leave them in the turner and shine the light into them. It was like $25, but worth every penny to me since I incubate a lot! Good luck with your hatch!!!
Sounds worthy of the 25 bucks! Is your outdoor brooder inside a building? Do u brood in winter?

Back
Top Bottom