I have baby goats!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by zatsdeb, Apr 23, 2008.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I have 5 baby goats, 2 twin girls, to my sanaan, Angel... 2 twin boys to my boer, Dixie, and 1 cute little billy to my boer Ginger.
    Daddy to all is my buck, samson.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my grandson joshua with gingers boy, spunky
    [​IMG]
    ginger and her boys
    [​IMG]
    samson the proud papa

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ohhhhhhhh! I love saanans! Very pretty goats you have!

3. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Thanks Miss Prissy! I was just looking at your page and watched your movie about farmer brown!!! I saw that years and years ago!!! Sure brought me back!!
    you have cuties!!

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I think Boer babies have to be the cutest in the goat world - runners up to Nubian babies!

Congrats on all - they look terrific![​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are some awesome boers in this area. Everyone was surprised last year when a little boy's boer buck took all the ribbons at the county fair. For some reason most people up here raise the lamanchas for show. *shiver* I just do not see anything in those goats that I like. I am a saanan and nubian goat lover. We have been looking at boers but I am a bit nervous about eating goat. I need someone to encourage me and give me some prize winning recipes before I can delve into the land of chevron for dinner.

6. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I love the ears!! my sanaan twin boer/sanaan cross baby girls have longer floppy ears, the people we got our first sanaan from came to give our girls their shots, and they thought the girls were the cutest things! they also don't let their does nurse the babies, and when they saw the girls nursing their mommy, angel, they just thought it was precious!
    We had goat before and didn't know it, gyros are usually goat, and it was pretty good, and then I found out later it was goat.
    I think if it wasn't my pet than I could eat goat.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL I have a hard time with those elf ears (manchies)...to me they look like something chewed them off at birth. Personal preference!

So far 99% of the people I know who raise goats as pets cannot eat goat (or lamb, for that matter). Recently on another board, a member was give ground chevron by a customer and made it into chili...she nearly barfed when she tried it and her DH said she needn't make it again.

8. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    oh, I meant that I love the boer ears! My husband refuses to get a goat without ears!!!! The others...do look like they have chewed off ears!!! But they are beautiful to some...!?!?[​IMG]

9. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Those babies are tooooooo cute!!!! I love the one already playing king of the mountain on the hay pile. I have 2 female nigerian dwarfs and hope to breed them soon if I can find a buck in my area. I can't wait! Congrats on your new additions, they are all beautiful![​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That is what I am afraid of. I have been told they have to be wethered ASAP or the meat gets a very wild buck taste to it. Maybe that is why she was given the meat? They were trying to get rid of it? LOL

I do believe we 'learn' to eat many of the food we consume and it has to be the same with chevron. After eating home grown beef, pork and chicken it is hard to go back to commercially processed meats - they just don't taste the same. I am willing to try the goat but scared its going to be buck wild gamey. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by