I have been doing some reading on dubbing.... and I'm curious

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DreamsInPink, May 24, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I am just wondering if any of the breeds I'm going to have will need to be dubbed to prevent frost bite...

What are some of the breeds that require this procedure?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think you'd be better off spending your time making sure your coop is dry and well-ventilated in the winter. Some of my larger-combed roosters have, in the past, lost the tips on their combs when it's been in the 20's below zero, but nothing serious. How cold does it get where you are?

1 person likes this.
  3. DreamsInPink

Our temps rarely hold below zero for very long, unless you count wind chill. I do have plenty of ventilation and will have more before winter hits. As for dry.... we are working on that. I have a bit of design malfunction... with all the ventilation also means lots of space for rain to come in... we have to fix that before the winter rains come.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Several of mine have been 'frostbite dubbed' .....even with tons of ventilation.
    Can happen at 31F as well as below zeros if it's humid where you live.
    I certainly wouldn't dub them to 'prevent' it.
    Have had some pretty blackened tissues on combs and wattles, and some swelling, tho no infection but I didn't mess with them either just kept close watch.

5. DreamsInPink

Thanks aart, that's probably the route I will go too. I got the same advice from another member with lots of chicken experience. I was just curious who I'd have to keep a closer eye on... which breeds.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

I think the bigger and floppier the comb, the more chance of frostbite. Rose and pea-combs seem to be less susceptible.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. DreamsInPink

Do the hens of any breeds have anything to worry about or is it mostly roosters?

This sounds very painful. Is there anything I can do to help reduce the risks? Also, see my question I asked bobbi-j...

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can happen to hen and cocks.
    Looks terrible and might be uncomfortable, especially if way swollen or infected, but doesn't seem to really affect them much.

10. DreamsInPink

Ok, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by