I have been reprimanded for not bringing treats!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KDbeads, Oct 29, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Seriously, I now have at least one bruise on my knee!!
    It's windy out today and supposed to be raining tonight and then be in the low 40's upper 30's for the next few nights. Since everyone has been huddling in the coops unless I bring treats I figured I'd start weather 'proofing' them. Not proofing actually, more of a windbreak, catch what sun available and heat up the coop type thing. Hubby had brought home a bunch of rolled up black sand barriers that are loose weaved enough for ventilation but thick enough to keep out the wind.... I proceed to start tacking that to the outside of the coops. I had to go in the run to secure the last side and I guess Red really wasn't happy with not getting a treat today and proceeded to peck my feet, sandals, jeans, legs, hands........

Then I decided the poop shelf need a little work and went in the coop to work on that.... here comes Red and I didn't bring any treats back from my trip to the house [​IMG] Endured the harassment until I got finished then I scooped her butt up and carried her around with me for a few minutes. She actually LOVED that.....

I have a spoiled chicken......

I set her back down in the coop, reached a hand in the layer feed and she was more than happy to take it from me.... thinking it was a treat I guess.... Didn't bother me again the rest of my work out there today.

Now I have to remember that if it comes from my hand, regardless of what it is, she'll be happy with it and I can get my work done peck free!

Spoiled chicken............

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    They can be awfully pushy, can't they?

I had one that was being harassed by the rooster while I was in the pen. Well, of course I don't want him showing off in front of me, so I take some time to show him who's boss. While I'm holding him down, the hen who'd been being pecked and bothered took the opportunity to give me a good sharp peck right on the bum!

No question: to a chicken, the whole world revolves around her. We are just the food-bringers, and we'd best get on with it, oh yes, or she'll give us quite a peck and expect us to like it!

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    This morning was baaaadddd...
    I made them oatmeal with pinto beans (yes they love this really) which they only get once every 2 weeks. As I'm walking over to the coop the 'she's got oatmeal' talking starts. I feed the little girls first, they are still terrified of the treats so I just leave the bowl because it will be late this afternoon before they finish it. Then go over to the big girls. Red is out of the run as soon as I can get it open and proceeds to fly up to my shoulder in an attempt to get the oatmeal first. Silly bird. Once I get it on the ground the entire bowl is gone in less than 2 minutes and the big girls disappear back into the coop. [​IMG]

4. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    BAHAHAHA!

I can just see you walking around with a chicken while doing things...

What do our neighbors think...
    LOL

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    One of my neighbors is a chicken person, they totally understand, the others already think I'm nuts so this just reinforces the idea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by