I have big water drinking silkies.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chic little, Oct 21, 2009.

1. chic little

chic little Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    I have 4 silkies 1 a month old and 3 about 2weeks old
    and they are big water drinkers have them on purina starter and chopped hard boiled eggs once a week,
    also when can they be put out in the coop with a 250 heat lamp
    also with 2week old Ameraucanas. .
    would that be a problem as they grow?
    anyone. i need to make the room ready for another hatch.
    of orp.s last hatch for the season, Ihope ,
    if I dont get the itch again. [​IMG]

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    ha.. good luck with that... the not getting the itch again.....

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It depends on your location and the outside temp. They are still pretty young. Silkies take quite a bit more time to feather in than other breeds in my experience. I'm in Florida where it is more temperate and I don't put my silkie babies out until at least six weeks of age...even in the summer. They stay in a brooder box in the house with a 60 or 75 watt bulb a couple of feet over them until all of them are completely feathered out. Perhaps I'm over the top [​IMG]

As for putting them with the ameracaunas, you can give it a try, but typically silkies are very passive and get picked on by other breeds...sometimes to the point of death. If you do try it, watch them closely.

On the other hand, I have an adult white silkie pair that free range with my big girls during the day and go into the coop with them at night with absolutely no problems at all. [​IMG]

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We have a pair of young partridge silkies, and they free range with the rest of my flock. The big girls leave the silkies alone. I'm not sure if it's the strange noises they make, or what. [​IMG] The girls seem more confused and curious towards them, then agressive.

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by