i have black silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kentucky jay, Dec 26, 2010.

1. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    i got 2 black silkies , not sure of the sex of either bird ........do the roo's have profound tailfeathers like most chickens ???? how do i tell them apart ??

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Silkies do not have regular feathers like other birds do. It takes months before you know the sex of Silkies. How old are yours?

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    They only way you can tell the sex of them is by the feathers on the back of their head.. Males should have streamers.. Little feathers that are longer than the rest. You don't mention their age, but those little feathers usually start to develop anywhere from 4 to 6 months depending. Otherwise you just have to wait for it to either crow or lay an egg... They are notoriously hard to sex.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

You don't. [​IMG]
    They both look like these big fluffy poufy carpets! Actually, the rooster can have some more shiny/pronouced feathers, unless they are show birds. Show Silkies look like pom-poms. Both sexes.

5. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    i dont know how old they are ,,,,,,, but they both look like little black balls of fluff !!!!!! one is bigger than the other , but again i dont know age !!!!! i'll check on the longer feathers on the back of the heads

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Photos would help...

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Hi Jay, I am in KY also. Post a picture if you can and some of us should be able to help you identify their sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by