i have brood coop questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmerjo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chirping

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    I am wondering what I should build/use for hens to brood in? I have an igloo dog house I'm not using would this work? I could make a small run to put over it. OR I can build one out of wood. What is better?

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The igloo dog house would probably be too hot. A broody pen works best if you have one for each broody. I only isolate the broody while she is setting; once the chicks hatch, the mama and chicks join the flock. If you do it this way, the broody only needs a nest plus just a few sq ft to walk around, and put food and water. Of course she will need a lot more run space if you keep her isolated while she raises the chicks. I have a large, breezy coop, and simply have a corner of it walled off with chicken wire for a broody.

3. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chirping

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    Ok do I set the box on the ground or keep it a few inches off the ground ? And should I isolate them for like a week or two from the rest of flock I have heard to do both don't isolate and do ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: